Reputable Transportation in Barbados

phlydude

After being in Barbados for a week for work (my company's office is right off the pier entrance), I have found that the taxis, especially in Bridgetown are less than consistent and some drivers are shady, especially those who are tourists.

We use a driver service down there called Forde's Executive Services.

Davey Forde is the director and would be glad to arrange transportation for you when you are in port.

His e-mail is: babydforde1@hotmail.com

Telephone: 246-247-0780

He was very friendly, very talkative and willing to take you wherever you wanted to go.

If you talk to him, tell him Dennis sent you (I don't get anything from this, I told him I would refer him on here though...)

Hi phlydude,

Thanks for the heads-up. We'll be there for a week in Oct. on a land-based trip, and was wondering if you could kindly provide more details. What do you mean by shady--overcharging? As your transport expenses were probably company-paid, do you have any idea of the charges/rates for this company? We're contemplating a trip to the Wildlife Reserve, maybe I'll see about hiring them as opposed to taking the bus. Did you ever have occasion to take the bus while you were there? If so, what were your thoughts?

Thanks very much!

Nikki

The expenses were company paid but I did get an idea of costs to certain places.

Airport to hotel on South End - $40 BDS ($20 US) (I stayed at the Accra Hotel and Beach Resort)

South End to Bridgetown - $15 BDS ($7.50 US) (also was the fare to the Boatyard and back)

Hotel to "The Gap" (restaurants) - $15 BDS ($7.50 US)

Cabbies were shady in the fact that you would ask them for a price and they would tell you a higher price. You know the fare is supposed to be $15 BDS but they say $25. You tell them no way, it should be $15 and they say that the best they can do is $22 because there is a lot of traffic and they have to take you another way to get around it.

Tip: tell them in advance that you will need a receipt.

Also, get the cab number (white license plate with blue numbers)

If the cabbie says he doesn't have receipts or doesn't give them, he is lying. By law they have to issue receipts when requested. This prevents fraud by less than reputable cab operators.

Also, there were some stories about cabbies taking people the long way and then stopping and asking for more fare. If you don't they threaten to leave you there where there is nothing good in that area.

As far as the bus, I would suggest not to do it. Davey told me this, "Before you think about getting in the van buses, think 20 times. Don't think twice, think 20 times. Because by the time that you get to thought 15 they will have left you and that will serve you well!" These van buses all have funny sounding horns (like airhorn sounds) and they cram you in and barely stop to let you out. I was told unless it is an absolute emergency, don't take those vans.

The public buses are blue and yellow and are safer but also very crowded. I was told to think "5 times" before getting on one of those. If you can make it past 5 times, you should be OK.

If you are curious about fares and information, feel free to e-mail Davey. He is a good guy and has good people working with him. If he can't attend to you, he will find someone trustworthy to help you out.

• 2 weeks later...

Davey transported three of us around all week in a Kia mini-van. Would hold 7 if you got three in each of the rear rows and someone up front. His other drivers had sedans that hold 5 including driver.

Most taxis are Nissan Sentra sized vehicles.

I'm a big guy and had no problem with any transportation there.

Archived