ISO shore excursions for OceanCity MD

cehrin

My DH and I loved taking catamaran sailing with the unlimited punch icon_rolleyes.gif in the carribean... I know OC is not a cruise destination, but does anyone know of "shore excursions" for the ocean city area? We are open to all ideas, not just sailings ( or alchoholicious) icon_redface.gif)

thanks! cehrin@hotmail.com

We will be there from june 5-13th- along Coastal hghwy

Paradise 7/29/01

There's a light house on the north end of town. There's a great outlet mall in Rehobeth Beach Del. about 1/2 north. There's a national park somewhere near there too. If you really want to drive you can go to Dover Downs motor speedway.

Trish

Hi

I've visited Ocean City many times and a great day trip is taking the Cape May Ferry, you can even make reservations ahead of time. Cape May is a beautiful Victorian city with lots to see and do, and the ferry ride is wonderful. You just drive onboard. Also, Atlantic City is not that far from Cape May either. Uou might even turn it into an over nighter and have a big night on the town.

Another interesting side trip would be to see the ponies on Assitigue (spelling is all wrong) Island, only about a 20 minute drive from downtown Ocean City.

You can also charter a fishing boat for an afternoon of deep sea fishting.

I'll be in Ocean City in September, and now you got me all excited. Have a wonderful time.

Don't miss a visit during the day to Seacrets on the bayside. All kinds of water things to do, and a beautiful setting as well. A drive to Assateague is also fun to see the wild ponies and have a day at the beach. I am certain there are (or were) evening sailboat cocktail charters, but sorry not to know where they originate. Probably from one of the downtown piers.

There are several places on the Bay where you can eat outside either on a deck or man-made beach, such as the Shark, Macky's, and Fager's Island.

OC will be swarming with "June bugs" (high school graduates) during this week. Not a problem, but they tend to dart out into the traffic without care, so keep an eye out for them as you drive.

• 1 month later...

Don't forget about Seacrets at night - hopping parties - lots of booze and dancing - at least as far as I can remember. Maybe too much booze, but still a good time.

If you are a foodie, no trip to OC is complete without Thrasher's French Fries and Dole's Carmel Corn both on the Boardwalk. If you like Ribs and Steaks - go to Nick's House of Ribs - all the way up Coastal Highway like 130th Street. Its almost all the way to Fenwick Island. Don't forget the fresh hot donuts from The Fractured Prune 28th and Coastal Highway. You would think I'm 600 lbs after reading this - but I'm not. Just certain things are "the taste of Ocean City".

OC also has lots of free concerts and stuff on the beach. I think on Wednesdays.

We have gone down every summer for as long as I can remember - not too many bad choices of stuff to do.

A bad day at the beach is better than a good day at work!!

RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 3/00

RCCL Explorer of the Seas 4/01

Carnival Sensation 12/01 with Rusty Wallace

Celebrity Summit 12/02

Celebrity Horizon 9/03(Mom never told me that Bermuda looks like Canada)

NCL Dawn 7/04

We stayed in OC last year at a condo we rented 1/2 block form beach for practically pennies.

We did drive to Assateaque in Virginia, and it IS only about 1/2 hour drive. Did not see any ponies while hiking (very hot & buggy)but a few came onto the beach - the girls loved it!

Beach was very nice soft sand, had gentle boogie board waves, and some decent shell hunting.

We also enjoyed a bay cruise early AM which took us out to the marshes where herds of ponies were - great pics! They also had various sea creatures in tubs on the boat for us to touch (if we dared!)and it was very educational. Lots of boats to choose from.

OC is a BIG city with lots of miniature golf, some water park and amusement piers (think 2 major ones on each end of boardwalk)and lots of restaurants - avoid the buffets.

We ate a great seafood lunch at Bahama Mama's on the bay side - reasonable, good service and the deck is open for service with, I understand, quite a party crowd at night (I think they may have a band in evenings).

OC is a large place to maneuver - the website suggested is a great source with map - you will want to park then walk, but may want to get in car and drive then park & walk again - we found ourselves walking MANY blocks to places we thought we "just around the corner"

have fun!

Archived