Seasick On The America's Cup Regatta ?

IRHLBLY

Well, it really is not small. It is a 14 meter sailing ship. I agree it isn't exactly very wide but plenty of room. If you are prone to seasickness, I wouldn't go. Depending on the winds, you could be in for a bumpy ride:D

Click on this link for an looksea :D

http://cruises.about.com/cs/caribbeanports/a/americascup_pic.htm

I agree. We haven't sailed the Regatta yet, we go in October. But we have sailed several boats of that size and if you are prone to seasickness, you will probably get sick.

We sailed a simular size boat on a day cruise in St. Thomas a couple years ago when gentlemen started feeding the fish five minutes into the cruise. We asked why he came if he was so prone to seasickness. He said his wife felt this would be a good test to see if he got sick on smaller boats. We couldn't help but notice she had a great time while he hung over the bow the whole day.

Kevin

On one of our America's Cup trips a lady got seasick. The Captain stopped the boat, another boat pulled up alongside and took her back to shore. Then the regatta continued.

This excursion has been around for a V-E-R-Y L-O-N-G time! Our girls use to absolute love it when they were teens and they are both out of college/grad school now ... so it's been there a while... good excursions do tend to stand the test-of-time.

SEASICK: Hope for a windy day! The only time we ever saw more than one person become ill was on a very still day. The slow up~and~down~and~up~and~down~~~~~~~~~~ was NOT good for those prone to becoming seasick~~~~~~~~ :rolleyes:

It's a large sailboat and can be lots of fun! Give it a try!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

I am prone to seasickness and did the America's Cup Regatta last November--it was a BLAST and defiinitely one of the highlights of our trip.

If you are worried about getting seasick, ask your doctor to prescribe the transderm scopamine patch. Take it from me, it works like a charm. I even get sick on the big Voyager class ships and had no problem on this excursion with the patch.

Angela

• 2 weeks later...
SEASICK: Hope for a windy day! The only time we ever saw more than one person become ill was on a very still day. The slow up~and~down~and~up~and~down~~~~~~~~~~ was NOT good for those prone to becoming seasick~~~~~~~~ :rolleyes:

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Good advice. I am prone to seasickness, and have learned the hard way about some things. 20 years ago, we went on a whale-watching cruise out of Lahaina on Maui; it was a small boat (much smaller than the America's Cup yachts). I was doing okay until we saw our first whale. The captain shut off the engine (regulation when you are within so many feet of a whale) and the boat re-oriented itself to the trough of the waves, and we were in that slow up~and~down thing, which was really doing a number on my stomach.

But the worst thing of all, I did to myself. I wanted a better view of the whales, and some pix as well, so I zoomed up my video camera (only had the little eyepiece viewers back then) as far as it would go and was trying to find the whales to take the shots. If you think up~and~down is bad with your normal vision, try it through a 20x optical zoom! Good thing I had my arm latched around a pole for balance and the camera firmly attached to my hand--I almost lost both along with my lunch.

The good news today is:

1. Cameras have the outside viewfinders now, so you can keep at least one eye on the horizon to quiet your stomach.

2. I have found that the more time I spend on the water, the less prone to seasickness I am. Of course, each trip is worse at the beginning, but gets better as we go along. The things I have done and seen more than make up for the seasickness.

3. The medications they have available now are very good at taking the edge off. You might feel queasy, but you probably won't get THAT sick.

I am saying this as a person who gets sick on swings, teeter totters, city buses, and about everything else that moves. I'm thinking to try this, and I'm not that worried about getting sick. For me, the biggest contributor to getting sick is worrying about getting sick. Take your medications, get involved, and have a good time--you won't be sick.

Thanks OTRLADY ! I feel like I've been to a pep rally ! We're signed up to go on this next month and I was concerned about seasickness. I, too, had the exact same experience in Hawaii ! I'll just take my Bonine and have fun . This is so different from any thing we'veever done. Life after 50 can be adventurous.Can't wait !!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I did the Regatta on September 14th. I am very prone to seasickness and was a little apprehensive about it. I started taking Meclazine the night before we left for the cruise and did not have any troubles on the sailboat. I took a "light" job. I was the bar wench and started the stop watch. Then I sat back, enjoyed the sail and watched the others work. I would do it again. So just take some sort of medicine starting at least a day before and don't worry. Have fun.:)

Hi - I did the Regatta on September 14th. I am very prone to seasickness and was a little apprehensive about it. I started taking Meclazine the night before we left for the cruise and did not have any troubles on the sailboat. I took a "light" job. I was the bar wench and started the stop watch. Then I sat back, enjoyed the sail and watched the others work. I would do it again. So just take some sort of medicine starting at least a day before and don't worry. Have fun.:)

Archived