Houston alcohol availability in port?

jjdshoe

So I have been reading that the alcohol served while in port in Texas is very limited. I have noticed over the last couple of months the Jeweel has been returning to port the night before debarkation to prevent weather delays. We will be on the Jewel in February and the last night on board is my birthday so I am wondering what is typically available while in port? Are we going to be able to have cocktails to celebrate if we are sitting at Houston port on our last night? What exactly does "limited" mean?

So I have been reading that the alcohol served while in port in Texas is very limited. I have noticed over the last couple of months the Jeweel has been returning to port the night before debarkation to prevent weather delays. We will be on the Jewel in February and the last night on board is my birthday so I am wondering what is typically available while in port? Are we going to be able to have cocktails to celebrate if we are sitting at Houston port on our last night? What exactly does "limited" mean?

Hopefully someone that paid more attention that I did will also answer this.

The mini bars in your cabin are locked. There are some bars open, but they lock up a great deal of their stock. Small menus are put out that detail what you can get.

Unless you're totally faithful to a particular brand, I've found it to not be that big of a deal. I didn't see the NCL menu of what was available, but I remember seeing the one Carnival had out on embarkation day. It was smaller than the regular menu, but it's not the wasteland that some people would have you believe.

Hopefully you won't have to return to port early, but if you do there will still be plenty of different types of alcohol available.

We came into Houston early on our cruise last week. The liquor selection in the bars seemed unaffected, but the beer and wine choices were very limited. The Jewel wine list isn't that extensive to start with, and on the last night in port (and first night's dinner while still in Texas waters, actually) there were only 4 or 5 choices available by the bottle. The "best" of those was a Pinot Noir about midway down the list. If I was going to celebrate a special event on the last night, and worried about being in port, I would brng a few nice bottle of my own and pay the corkage ($15 per bottle), just in case.