Dive operator recommendations for Dominica and ARUBA

dabear

Any recommendations for dive operators in these ports? In general, we prefer to make arrangements independently than thru the ship. We're on the 2/4/06 sailing on the Connie and are experienced divers.

You have to go with Naturedive or divedominica they were both great and the diving is great. IN fact I love it more than GC. That is saying alot since we go to GC at least once a year either land or sea.

Dominica is poor but it is back to nature.

Aruba when we went was Red Sail--it is fine also,:)

Aruba when we went was Red Sail--it is fine also,:)

Redsail is the contract dive operator for some of the cruise lines. Check their website to see which ones: http://www.redsail.com They use large boats if that makes any difference to you. Personally, I prefer the smaller operators.

Pelican is another choice. I went on their afternoon dive to the wreck of the Antilla. While I was under-impressed with the wreck, I thought Pelican was fine.

Dive Dominica seems to be the fancy operation on the island, and Nature Island Dive is the one off the beaten track.

We had an AWESOME trip with Nature Island Dive, and I posted a review on the board here. Just be prepared for the island - divadiverfl is right.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

Dominica Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=121704

Check out the photos at http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

• 3 weeks later...
we were thinking of diving the Antilla in Aruba. any comments?
What level of experience are you? That will make a big difference on your enjoyment of that dive. Personally, I wasn't overly impressed, but I went in the afternoon and the vis was pretty poor by Caribbean standards. If you haven't done any other wreck diving and do decide to dive her, try to go in the morning before the snorkeling crowds have a chance to lower the vis. Be sure to take dive lights. The Superior Producer might be a better choice if you are experienced divers. That is if you can get a dive op to take you there. It seemed to me that most of the operators in Aruba work on a predetermined schedule; if it is Tuesday, the dives will be Harbor Reef and Sonesta reef.

• 2 weeks later...

Did Dominica and Aruba last year.. Right after Ivan and Jannen.. Those 2 realy messed up the reefs and visability.. but.. Hell I was in Carib and diveing.. Whaa hoo.!!

Ok did Dominica with ship.. it worked out great for us in our group. there were 8 total that went.. we got off the ship, walked down the dock and got on dive boat a block away.. took us out and Those dives Rocked.. the dive master showed my buddy and I a Green eel that I would swear the head was like a Foot tall. Yeah I know the glass depth, size.. all looks bigger under water.. but still It was COOL.

Now I have dove Aruba 2 times. First time was in 2002 , with Pelican I do recomend them. Did Antiles.. and the Peranalis. Both were good dives.. first cuse it was my first wreck dive and we were able to go into the Antiles.. following our guide...then they showed us on the Peranalis unexploded bombs.. that was a rush.

Now I was in aruba last year, and Ivan had shifted the Antiles so you could not do the swim thru, but it was still just as impressive, and again did the perinalis but we did this one with Red sail cuse I figured that carnival was still useing Pelican,, If I had know that they switched I would have stayed with Pelican.. We had 3 in our group with trouble equilizing and the guide took off with out checking to see if the group was all there. Next we were to have 2 dive guides with our group of 9 and the one bailed on our group to help a lesson and I was to buddy up with the guide and was looking around for her and she was off swimming with the Lesson divers.. No word that she was not coming with us.. I got another buddy with friends.. but did not like the lack of communication befor the dive.

So I would go with Pelican in Aruba.

Hope that helps.

Did Dominica and Aruba last year.. Right after Ivan and Jannen.. Those 2 realy messed up the reefs and visability.. but.. Hell I was in Carib and diveing.. Whaa hoo.!!

Ok did Dominica with ship.. it worked out great for us in our group. there were 8 total that went.. we got off the ship, walked down the dock and got on dive boat a block away.. took us out and Those dives Rocked.. the dive master showed my buddy and I a Green eel that I would swear the head was like a Foot tall. Yeah I know the glass depth, size.. all looks bigger under water.. but still It was COOL.

Now I have dove Aruba 2 times. First time was in 2002 , with Pelican I do recomend them. Did Antiles.. and the Peranalis. Both were good dives.. first cuse it was my first wreck dive and we were able to go into the Antiles.. following our guide...then they showed us on the Peranalis unexploded bombs.. that was a rush.

Now I was in aruba last year, and Ivan had shifted the Antiles so you could not do the swim thru, but it was still just as impressive, and again did the perinalis but we did this one with Red sail cuse I figured that carnival was still useing Pelican,, If I had know that they switched I would have stayed with Pelican.. We had 3 in our group with trouble equilizing and the guide took off with out checking to see if the group was all there. Next we were to have 2 dive guides with our group of 9 and the one bailed on our group to help a lesson and I was to buddy up with the guide and was looking around for her and she was off swimming with the Lesson divers.. No word that she was not coming with us.. I got another buddy with friends.. but did not like the lack of communication befor the dive.

So I would go with Pelican in Aruba.

Hope that helps.

We have dove Dominica quite a bit and the same eel has been there. I love the rocks. I have dove alot around the world and Dominica is the most exotic place and back to nature I have ever been to.:cool:

• 1 month later...

Was my choice and I believe we have the same experience levels and perhaps expectations. You will have to cab it to the shop ~ 5 miles of an E ticket ride. They are located in Soffierie right in the Marine reserve. Minutes to the best dives available. Far enough from the pier and the small town where all the other cruisers will be, so the atmoshphere is very quiet and off the beaten path. It's worth it to go with NID just for that never mind the outstanding diving close by. We plan on coming back and spending some land based time there.

You won't be dissapointed

Rich

Just had another thought...I'm not sure if I mentioned it in my review or not, but I picked up an extra diver because the shore excursion dive by Celebrity was canceled that day.

The reason that the shore desk gave was that the minimum # of divers was not met.

Have a wonderful trip!

Wendy

Any luck on Aruba that I can glom on to?

were going with Nat. Is Divers in Dominica . Now to decide about Aruba. So far most of the operators we contacted do only a 1 tank afternoon dive (generally on the Antilla which sounds only so so after the hurricane) but our ship (Constellation) offers a 2 tank dive (not sure with which operator). I've used Red Sail in GC and they were fine.

wait: I'm over 30 and don't understand it. Please interpret. By the way, NAt Is Divers said they would send a van to pick us up at the dock.
Maybe I should have chosen 40 as the age. A long time ago Disneyland wasn't a one price, all you can ride admission price. Different rides required different tickets. The tickets were A thru E, with A ticket rides being the really tame rides such as the train around the park. The E ticket rides were the big signature rides such as Pirates of the Caribbean. The meaning of an "E ticket ride" is the ride was quite thrilling.

Archived