Please Help-urgent!!! Leaving Soon!

lilmsonry

Today my stepson decided he doesn't want to go because of his grades. What happens in this situation. Need help. Do I loose all the money? We actually sail 9/5/05 on Ecstasy....I am wiggin out, please direct me on what to do. Thanks!

Today my stepson decided he doesn't want to go because of his grades. What happens in this situation. Need help. Do I loose all the money? We actually sail 9/5/05 on Ecstasy....I am wiggin out, please direct me on what to do. Thanks!

Have him ask his teachers if he can take any school work with him for extra credit. He can do it during sea days and any down time. What a weird kid!!! (but very commendable) Is he in high school, community college, Harvard?

Cool-First off- he is not a wierd kid! He is concerned about his grades, which is nothing weird, actually, quite responsible. As far as wierd goes, you might look in the mirror. I don't need people like you with your rude comments, thanks, but NO THANKS!

All other posters-please help me...Is carnival down. Can't get through on phone or on internet, it disconnects.

Sounds like you need to sit down with him and explain to him that this is not an option at this point because of the money that it paid in advance. Take control as the parent and be in charge-thats usually what kids want you to do anyway.

Sounds like a control issue more than anything.......JMHO

How old is your stepson?

Geez: BOTH PREVIOUS POSTERS: I don't need you to tell me what you think about my kid or what I should do or not do about my kid. My kid is not wierd or out of control (?) ! Since when is a teenager out of control when he is simply concerned about missing school because of his grades?

EVERYONE ELSE:

Please-no more about my kid or how I raise him. That is offensive and neither poster knows me or my kid. I need some help here with advice, not insult after insult.

With that said, PLEASE, simply tell me what my options are regarding CARNIVAL and the money that is already spent.

I would be very greatful for some info on this, I think the hurricane is hitting Miami now and can't get through there at all.

Thank you!

Hey Lil.:) First, I don't think Cool meant anything derogatory -just unusual to see a kid who's more interested in school than a cruise.

I think I'd just have to say to him that this is a 'done deal'. Since the cruise is only 10 days away...you'll lose a lotta money if you (and his dad?) allow him to stay home.

If you cancel his booking today, you'll lose 50%. If you wait two more days, you'll lose the entire amount.

Good luck, friend.:)

Gabs: He is 16 and school is difficult for him, he reallllllly has to work at it.

That is great that he wants to improve in school..:) Since the money has been paid you will probably lose it all since you are so close to sailing date.:( I would explain that to him the consequences of him not going and the money that will be lost.. there is always summer school next year he can take (if you have that where you are) or he can try and do some reading during down times over the trip.... If he still decides not to go then I would throw out the thought that he (if he works or gets and allowance) will have to pay back the cost of his trip.. Just a thought..:)

Hey Lil.:) First, I don't think Cool meant anything derogatory -just unusual to see a kid who's more interested in school than a cruise.

I think I'd just have to say to him that this is a 'done deal'. Since the cruise is only 10 days away...you'll lose a lotta money if you (and his dad?) allow him to stay home.

If you cancel his booking today, you'll lose 50%. If you wait two more days, you'll lose the entire amount.

Good luck, friend.:)

Thank you Cotton. That is exactly what I meant. I apologize that it was taken to be anything other than "Wow, that's cool that he cares so much."

I also stand by the suggestion that he explain the situation to his teachers and ask if there is work he can take with him. It will help him stay on top of the school work, impress the teachers that he actually cares and save you parents a chunk of money....a win-win situation IMHO.:)

Is he the third person in a cabin? That would mean less money lost. I have a 16 year old and I could imagine him doing the same thing. Is there someone to keep an eye on him if he doesn't go? If you force him, you may never hear the end of it. He is a teen and it is normal to do what I call "butting heads". He would like to make his own decision.

I understand that several businesses in the area are closed today and possibly tomorrow. Make sure you send an email and keep following up and explain you've tried to contact them without any luck. I'm sure they realize that customers are trying to call. Perhaps you won't lose it all but I'm sure you'll lose at least 50%.

Good luck.

But you are asking for our help and then blast us when you don't like the feedback. Hope you don't send mixed messages like that to the stepson. Did you not think about him reaallly struggling in school when you booked the cruise? :confused:

First of all, I applaud your son for being so conciencious. I don't know what your situation is but it's not too late to take someone else in his place. Is there another child going who could bring a friend or do you? I think there would be a $50.00 name change fee but that's less than losing all or half of the money. You'd have to decide quick. I think, for security reasons, there will be a cut-off date 3-4 days prior to the cruise.

2 days before our cruise in jan. my neice got sick, her and my b.i.l didnot go we lost all the money..............you said you have ins.but it usally covers sickness,ect..check your papers....not to be rude but didnt you realize when he booked it he as just starting school...in our area if you miss 5 or more unexcused days (which vac. days are) you automaticaly fail.....;) i hope you enjoy yourself anyways

Coolest: No problem, maybe not on the same page ;). Thank you, he is typically very responsible.

Julia, Lucy, Heido-Thank you so much. I am real proud of him myself, it is a pain in the booty, but, since the reasons are what they are, I can't be too critical.

Dog-Let's see, he has been in school for 8 days....Me, I always hope they do better each year and we try to have a positive attitude. Also, just asked what advice to do with carnival, not kids, oh, by the way...do you have any??

First of all, I applaud your son for being so conciencious. I don't know what your situation is but it's not too late to take someone else in his place. Is there another child going who could bring a friend or do you? I think there would be a $50.00 name change fee but that's less than losing all or half of the money. You'd have to decide quick. I think, for security reasons, there will be a cut-off date 3-4 days prior to the cruise.

You know, after I submitted this I realized that I should have said that you'd save money only if THE OTHER PERSON COULD PAY HIS/HER OWN WAY. DUH!!!:rolleyes: You won't save money if you have to pay to bring someone else. In fact, it would cost more because you'd have to pay the name change fee.

I'd say your child has chosen his priorities correctly and should not be forced go on a trip that would cause his school work to suffer. If you lose the entire amount because of his decision to not go, then you can't fault him for making a better choice. School is much more important than a cruise. Perhaps that should have been a consideration before booking it during the school year? Just curious if anyone asked his opinion up front. Oh well. I don't think his choice to stay home would qualify for a full refund or even a partial one for that matter. I know you are not looking for this kind of response, but I'd hate to see your son get the third degree because he thinks his studies are more important than a cruise. I would not force him to go, and I would not book a cruise for my child during the school year. Sorry.

Yep, I sure did realize, how could I not, that is was the beginning of school. He definitely will not get any negative recourse from me or my husband, as he is genuinely concerned about his grades. He is typically extremely responsible, worked and paid for his own truck before he turned 15, has worked since he was 14. He even walks to work if he doesn't have a ride and he does not miss work days. He is diligent in responsibility and for a 16 year old, I think it is great. Yep, lesson learned, will not book trips during school year anymore.

Dog-HA! HA! HA! LMAO-Do you have kids, you didn't answer that? Are you actually employed in therapy???? What kind of person thinks a kid is out of control if he is concerned about his grades.......HILARIOUS!!!!!

As for our house, we will be therapy free and have good grades!

Wow Coolest, looks like you got a raw deal here :( I didn't see ANYTHING rude with your post at all... actually, I thought it was very nice... you made a suggestion, and said it was commendable what he was doing... Lil, sounds like you might be stressing, and that is understandable... but no need to jump down the throats of people that are trying to offer suggestions... Seriously, I didn't see a single thing rude in that post... :confused:

Good luck to you...

lil - I will try to answer your question, but please try not to be so defensive, OK? (I have five kids). Cotton was correct in saying that if he cancels now, he will lose 50% of the total money he paid for his share of the cruise. If he cancel between 7 -0 days before the cruise, he will lose 100% of the money. That is Carnival's hard-and-fast cancellation policy, and they will stick to it! You have surely received your cruise documents by now, and this is stated clearly in the Passenger Contract. Also, even though you have trip insurance (good for you!), it will NOT cover cancellation for the reason you stated above. I know this is your first cruise, and I would ask you when you booked it, and whether or not you booked directly through Carnival. When you booked, you should have received information about Carnival's cancellation policy...it's also clearly stated in their brochure. It sounds to me like you have until about Aug. 29 or so to cancel and get a 50% refund. Please realize that at this time, Carnival is having to deal with Hurricane Katrina, which includes changing cruise itineraries and passengers who wish to cancel. It's not unusual that you can't get through to Carnival, as they have their hands pretty full right now! BTW - I didn't notice any posters directly "telling you how to raise your (step) kid"! Also, it looks like your countdown clock is wrong. Another question for you...are you guys flying or driving down? If flying, his air ticket is non-refundable and non-transferable. if you could give us a bit more information, you would probably get a bit more help.

Archived