Oceania vs SilverSea, and few Oceania questions

KLB10

We have been on Regent's Navigator (more than once) with brown water coming out of the taps. This is a problem that some older ships have. The tanks that hold the water on the ships do not know whether they are tanks on a luxury cruise line or a mainstream cruise line. I do believe that Silversea fixed up its act after the failed inspection 18 months ago.

The one thing I dislike about Silversea is the formality. However, I must say that I dislike the informality on Oceania even more. Oceania cruisers dress just fine in the specialty restaurants and main dining room. However, a lot of people dine in the Terrace Café and the majority of these people wear shorts (not dress shorts -- sloppy shorts) or sloppy jeans and t-shirts. So, while wandering around the beautiful ship at night - running into these underdressed people, makes the ship feel much more mainstream than luxury.

In terms of defining luxury, it is not just about service either. There are many cruise lines with great service and some have food in the specialty restaurants that meet or exceed those on luxury lines. It is a whole package -- food, service, suites (not tiny rooms mixed in with suites), the way guests are treated on the ship (with respect), etc. One little difference between Oceania and Silversea or Regent is that you cannot special order a meal in the main dining room for the next night (unless you have food restrictions) on Oceania. On Silversea or Regent you can order just about anything that the kitchen has the ingredients to make - with 24 hours notice.

In any event, I enjoy Oceania very much but do not see it as a true luxury cruise line (nor does their CEO, Frank Del Rio).

Just so that I understand, Silversea doesn't allow shorts even on outside decks?

Just so that I understand, Silversea doesn't allow shorts even on outside decks?

Of course they do, but in the restaurants and around the ship at night. they ask that all passengers maintain the dress code out of respect for their fellow passengers.

So, if you ate Room Service in your cut-offs after a day at the beach, you'd need to change before leaving your Stateroom.