What do I tell my bank?

mushroom

In older threads I recall reading that MSC's onboard credit card charges are processed through European banks. My credit card company likes to know where my charges will be coming from so they can protect me from fraud. Does anyone have recent knowledge of which country these charges will be processed from? Thanks for your help!

In older threads I recall reading that MSC's onboard credit card charges are processed through European banks. My credit card company likes to know where my charges will be coming from so they can protect me from fraud. Does anyone have recent knowledge of which country these charges will be processed from? Thanks for your help!

My European Cruise on Sinfonia was bill through Geneve (Geneva) France on 9th Dec 2014.

here is an image of the entry on my CC statement

bill.jpg

Don't know about other regions

Pete

Edited by Skier52

when we go abroad we have to tell the bank. They ask where you are going to, what country's visiting , when you are leaving to go and when you are coming back. That's all they need , so that any charges then will be ok. It's simple to do on the phone and takes 5mins.

Banks have different procedures of deciding what might constitute possible fraudulent transaction. It's based on location, frequency, amount, etc. Lots of CC websites have some kind notification process that doesn't require calling. Personally I never bothered notifying them and rarely had transactions declined (I think Sears MC declined online transaction in Euro once - this card is issued by Chase bank). As far as MSC goes any pre-cruise transactions (TA & their own website bookings & extra purchases) are charged to MSC USA and final bill - to MSC Geneve.

Edited by hkto

when we go abroad we have to tell the bank. They ask where you are going to, what country's visiting , when you are leaving to go and when you are coming back. That's all they need , so that any charges then will be ok. It's simple to do on the phone and takes 5mins.

That is the norm. However a US citizen going on a Caribbean cruise would not be expecting a charge billed in France and neither would their credit card companies. There have been reports of people having the onboard charge refused by their. Banks, no doubt thinking it was a fradulent transaction.

I've set up SMS notifications for my credit card so that I receive a text message whenever a charge is posted from a new country and whenever a charge above a certain amount is posted. This would make me aware of attempted fraught right away and in the past has also helped me argue with merchants in situations where it was unclear if a charge had gone through.

The text messages are also sent in case of a declined charge and come with a number that can be called to resolve the issue.

I had issues, after notifying the bank, and the staff at guest relations allowed me a free ship to shore telephone to call to my bank to sort out, I must say MSC staff were extremely helpful on that occasion.

I too was lucky the time I had issues. Had just left the Coast of Brazil on a repo back to Europe when the Bank stopped my card. The accounting desk crew were lovely about it. No worries they said, take your time, sort it out when you can they said. Then laughed and said it's not like you an go anywhere, we are at sea for days. I eventually gave up trying to get a signal during UK banking hours and did an online transfer and gave them another card. Wasn't too sure how long they would have allowed me to carry on charging stuff with no authorisation to cover it.

Call your credit card company, tell them you want to speak to the security dept. because of an upcoming trip, tell them you're taking a cruise that uses a foreign bank in France, and to allow these charges to go through during these dates!

We always call ahead of time whether its a cruise, or land based vacation!

If you have a problem onboard, call your credit card company from the ship, and remind them of your previous call! Shouldn't be a problem either way if you call ahead of time!:D

I'm also going on the Divina to the eastern Caribbean in April. So far, all charges have been made from the USA in US dollars. However, if I understand you all correctly, my final on board account will be charged from a bank in France? So will it be charged in Euros and therefore I may incur a currency conversion fee from my bank, or will it still be charged in U.S. Dollars?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by ej22ndrow

I asked the reservation agent about this today when I called in my deposit. She said that the onboard accounts for Caribbean cruises leaving Miami are billed in USD through a US bank. She said it was only the charges on European cruises that were put through the French bank.

I'm also going on the Divina to the eastern Caribbean in April. So far, all charges have been made from the USA in US dollars. However, if I understand you all correctly, my final on board account will be charged from a bank in France? So will it be charged in Euros and therefore I may incur a currency conversion fee from my bank, or will it still be charged in U.S. Dollars?

They charge in USD

I asked the reservation agent about this today when I called in my deposit. She said that the onboard accounts for Caribbean cruises leaving Miami are billed in USD through a US bank. She said it was only the charges on European cruises that were put through the French bank.

This could either be

1.A recent change as numerous US nationals sailing on the Divina out of Miami have had their credit card payments for onboard spend processed via France, resulting in occasionally transactions being blocked as the card issuer is concerned by potential fraud or some incurring foreign transaction charges.

2. TheMSC agent has gotten it wrong. Can't talk from personal experience of the US staff but the UK ones frequently don't know onboard procedures and either can't give full information or give incorrect information.

Edited by AmoMondo

We've cruised the Divina twice. Charges came from Geneve, France both times, and I'd alerted my CU ahead of time that there would be out of country charges. No problems from them.

Meanwhile, my husband's employer deposits their checks to a debit account that comes with a Master Card, and his was declined, despite telling them he expected charges to come through France. Our lesson is that we just use the credit union card for charges. (We booked two staterooms on our last cruise, one had him, one had me)

I have confirmed from my cc statement. Onboard purchases are from France while things purchased pre-cruise (eg. drink pkg) was from the US MSC branch.

CruisinGirl777:

When did you sail? Did you sail in the Caribbean or Europe? Although the charges came from France, were you charged in Euros or US dollars ( did you incur a currency conversion fee)?

Thanks.

CruisinGirl777:

When did you sail? Did you sail in the Caribbean or Europe? Although the charges came from France, were you charged in Euros or US dollars ( did you incur a currency conversion fee)?

Thanks.

Hello...I sailed the msc divina and had a problem using my credit card...and

I did notify my bank prior to sailing...my bank did authorize the first hold which

was $150....but after I acceded that amount...msc put another authorization hold

on the cc.. upon debarkation I was detained...had to go back to guest

relations to find out that my cc denied the second authorization hold..

the woman that dealt with me didn't even offer me to use their phone..finally

Got through to my bank to find out the reason...they put a stop to the card

because of the foreign bank and said they thought that their were fraudulent

charges on the card....Would I sail MSC Divina again...YES I would..

but I would not use my credit card...I would open up a cash account..was very

embarrassing...and dont trust any reps or check in agents at the pier as

everyone gives you different answers...and yes I did notify my bank prior to sailing

CruisinGirl777:

Thanks.

We sailed December 2014 in the Caribbean. I was billed in USD. And yes, my cc has a conversion fee (sadly!). As others have stated, there is an initial $150.00 hold on the card, then on the final day the full amount was held and it took a couple of days to be processed.

Edited by CruisinGirl777
sp

transactions on msc come from their bank in Paris, France. Make note to tell you CC company that...i had a problem, and was detained on the ship, due to this very problem...