Question about extra tipping to room stewards...

eminence_front

Would it be considered more or less "bribery" if, after meeting the room steward, we hand them an extra $20 or even $50 in advance (on top of what they're being prepaid), i..e, "If you take care of us, we'll take care of you"? Has anyone done this and, if so, has it worked?

Would it be considered more or less "bribery" if, after meeting the room steward, we hand them an extra $20 or even $50 in advance (on top of what they're being prepaid), i..e, "If you take care of us, we'll take care of you"? Has anyone done this and, if so, has it worked?

I always give between $20-$30 during the course of the week... I always have fabulous service... not sure if the tip had anything to do with it or not, I always make it a point to get to know them, and I think that is appreciated too...

There is no need to tip the Steward up front unless you need him/her to handle an extra special request.

Cleaning your room, changing towels, moving beds together is there job and what you are already tipping them for.

-----------The cabin---was very clean and nice and the first time we met our room stewart I gave him a 20 advance eventhough we pretipped all our tips when we booked our cruise and i told him we wanted 4 more pillows and 2 more blankets and we had them in about an hour later and he unlocked the mini bar so when we arrived at the cabin it was about 2pm ---Valor Review honeymoon 7/31-8/7 great cruise----At the last night we tipped him another $15.00 and the asst stewart 15.00

During 10 cruises on four different cruise lines over the past 3 years we've never tipped a room steward prior to the last day and have had only one cruise where we felt the room steward was less than expected.

We always book inside cabins - have been upgraded to ocenviews by the cruise lines twice. Have always tipped the recommended amount plus extra cash at end of cruise for those employees who met our expectations of service or went beyond.

IMHO, if you greet your room steward with a smile and a friendly hello on the first day of the cruise, do as much as you can to keep your cabin neat on your own (i.e., don't leave dirty clothes clogging the floor or your suitcases hanging open with clothes spilling out on the floor, etc.) your room stewards will be very good to you.

Dianne

We've been on 3 previous cruises I have always handed my room steward 20 dollars for each room on the first day and my cooler has been full of ice every thing was perfect and he let my kids sleep til whenever they wanted. Althougt the last 7 day cruise on the Triumph he kept apoligizing to me for not getting the kids room done because our 19 year old son was asleep till 1 or 2 in the afternoon, I said no worries that there problem.

We have never tipped in advance and have always had excellent service. We have always felt the need to give extra at the end though. I just have a problem tipping in advance for service that has not yet been rendered.

Em, I've never tipped the cabin steward on arrival. I don't think it's necessary at all. I always leave my auto tips in place, and give him a little extra the last evening.

(I do leave a dollar bill and a mini-pack of M&Ms on the bed when I leave the cabin every morning...just a happy.)

Kinda funny - I've had two stewards thank ME for keeping my cabin so neat.:D

Em, I've never tipped the cabin steward on arrival. I don't think it's necessary at all. I always leave my auto tips in place, and give him a little extra the last evening.

(I do leave a dollar bill and a mini-pack of M&Ms on the bed when I leave the cabin every morning...just a happy.)

Kinda funny - I've had two stewards thank ME for keeping my cabin so neat.:D

Cotton-do the room stewards need or want anything in particular that they don't have access to? Your idea about the candy is making me think (ouch, it hurts!) that they might appreciate a little gift in addition to the cash. What think ye? May be a dumb idea...........

I didn't tip in advance. I threw him $100 at the end of the week. Just cause he's 1 of the coolest cats i've ever met his name was "WE" he took care of us on the Empress deck on the valor all the way forward "Balcony"

I have been know to throw a tip in advance but I am asking for things too!!!!

I want my ice changed a couple of times a day!!! I need extra pillows for my knee!! I would like a good ash try for my balcony!!! I give this to them in an envelope with a note introduceing my-self and family!!! Thanking them for taking care of my family for the week, I too like to get to know my room steward!!!!

Did this make a diffrence, who knows but I like to think it did!!! After all the money laid out for a cruise with family what is $20 for a bit of insurance on great service!!!;)

I've always done it exactly like that, even down to saying those exact words, and it has always worked. I have never experienced anything but wonderful service starting with the delivery of our luggage and lasting all throughout the voyage.

It works

We tipped $100 up front on our July trip on the Legend. We had a suite and hosted a few deck parties during the week for our traveling companions. Although we kept the cabin pretty neat, we realized our steward had extra work on his hands with the extra rooms and the removal/supply of party glasses, dishes and such. We just wanted to acknowledge that we appreciated the extra work involved with a suite. And sure enough, he slipped in and out of there all week keeping us in perfect order. We also tipped again at the end for a job extremely well done.

wow, I feel so bad for the stewards that get stuck with my poor group. We always tip extra but I'm talking $20-25 above the required. Now I feel lousy, I've really liked my stewards and it appears they got the short end when they ended up with us. The same goes for my dining staff. On our last cruise our table of eight tipped an extra $40. Our waiter was decent not fantastic like some I have read about. Never remembered likes and dislikes, often missed something.. but we appreciated him and thought we were being generous. Oh they probably talk about us.

wow, I feel so bad for the stewards that get stuck with my poor group. We always tip extra but I'm talking $20-25 above the required. Now I feel lousy, I've really liked my stewards and it appears they got the short end when they ended up with us. The same goes for my dining staff. On our last cruise our table of eight tipped an extra $40. Our waiter was decent not fantastic like some I have read about. Never remembered likes and dislikes, often missed something.. but we appreciated him and thought we were being generous. Oh they probably talk about us.

Don't feel bad!!! I would venture to guess that MANY don't tip over and above... I tip my steward all together around $20-$30 extra, same with dining staff. From what I have seen around here, that is about average. Unless you are making difficult requests, that is good for above average service... don't stress, they appreciate anything that you give them above the std tip!! :D

wow, I feel so bad for the stewards that get stuck with my poor group.............. Oh they probably talk about us.

Cathy, I doubt they talk about guests in that way, as they're accustomed to some who do tip more and some who don't. Just think how many different type folks they deal with week in-week out. Don't give it another thought.

Everybody who says they get 'extra special' service because they "throw" money the first day - Geez, I can't imagine what kind of service I'd get if I did that.......I couldn't ask for better service that I already get!:)

Cotton, I agree wholeheartedly. We have never tipped up front, and we have always had our ice buckets filled, towels replaced, beds set up as we requested, etc, etc - I don't feel I should HAVE to hand them a $20 on the first day to get proper service. Nothing wrong with people doing so, but I wouldn't want that to be expected in order to get decent service.

This is an interesting subject. I have never tipped up front in the past but was thinking of doing on this trip. On my last cruise they room steward was ok. I have had much better service on other trips. So, after reading other threads on this subject, I thought I would tip up front a little and see what happens. I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for".

We've never tipped up front (it really does seem like a bribe to me) but we typically tip very, very healthy at the end if we've receive excellent service. But then again when we (or the kids) order room service we always tip them when they arrive with the tray too and that's nothing more than delivering the tray of food.

One time on NCL we had one bartender (in one particular bar we would always have a pre-dinner drink in) and one drink waiter that was always serving us (by the pool, by the jacuzzi, in the show lounge, etc.). Both of those guys took such very good care of us, were friendly, outgoing and just such a credit to the cruiseline we tipped both of them an extra $40 a piece. You would have thought we gave them a million dollars from their reaction. Excellent, outstanding service should always be tipped exceptionally well....

Cotton-do the room stewards need or want anything in particular that they don't have access to? Your idea about the candy is making me think (ouch, it hurts!) that they might appreciate a little gift in addition to the cash. What think ye? May be a dumb idea...........

K - You know what? They really don't want little gifts.:o On several earlier cruises, I took all kinds of things I thought they could use - mini-calculators, pads/pens, 1-time use cameras, puzzle books, just little things I thought maybe they could use (or send home to their families). They always seemed appreciative of the big gift bag I brought....but after having conversations with other stewards, I realize that they don't have the actual space in their quarters for things like that.

So - cash seems to be the biggie. (And my little M&Ms).:) I also hand a mini-pack to the room service person, too - big smiles! Makes me feel good to see a genuine surprised smile!

Don't feel bad!!! I would venture to guess that MANY don't tip over and above... I tip my steward all together around $20-$30 extra, same with dining staff. From what I have seen around here, that is about average. Unless you are making difficult requests, that is good for above average service... don't stress, they appreciate anything that you give them above the std tip!! :D

Typically, (if you do this.... not that I would), I tip extra when I need my cooler iced down daily.... if you know what I mean.....

bamagolf

We've been on 3 previous cruises I have always handed my room steward 20 dollars for each room on the first day and my cooler has been full of ice every thing was perfect and he let my kids sleep til whenever they wanted. Althougt the last 7 day cruise on the Triumph he kept apoligizing to me for not getting the kids room done because our 19 year old son was asleep till 1 or 2 in the afternoon, I said no worries that there problem.

I think your son and our daughter could hit it off. They both like to sleep on their vacations! I can never understand how you can sleep in that late when there is so much to do.

As far as tipping, we tipped our last steward a little extra the first day and then a couple of days after that gave him a little more. We actually left $10.00 on the counter for him to have on the third day, but he did not take it. We had to actually write him a note saying it was his tip before he would take it. He also made sure we had plenty of ice, and would let the kids sleep in. He was the best!

Archived