San Francisco stayover

tatanka49

I am cruising on the Star Princess on March 14. We live in NYC and decided that we should fly in on Friday instead of Saturday (day of cruise). We already have reservations for Princess shuttle bus from Airport on Saturday.

Question: Do we stay in a hotel near the terminal and pay a bit more (and how do you get there from the airport) or do we stay at a lower priced hotel near the airport with airport shuttle service and still meet the Princess bus at the airport on Saturday? Any suggestions for hotels in either location? We have toured SF in the past so sightseeing is not a major requirement. We also hear that the St Patrick's Day parade is March 14. Would that make a difference either way?

The most economical option, assuming you have manageable luggage, would be to stay near SFO in a hotel with shuttle and the next day take BART ($8) from the airport to the Embarcadero Station, not far from the pier. You could also Super Shuttle it, take a taxi, or Uber it. Not sure why you'd want to use the Princess shuttle, but…

The St. Patrick's parade is no big deal here.

Two of us are coming in on a Fri in August for an AK cruise on Mon. We're looking to save money on a hotel cause it's basically a bed and shower. I've been to SF several times b4 but had a friend that lived in Belmont. I found BART to be convenient to get into city for sightseeing etc so was thinking we'd have more economical options staying near SFO. My question is this....do hotels close to airport have free or low cost shuttles between them and SFO and how much hassle would it be to deal with luggage on the train to the pier? I have done this in Boston a couple of times and also in Chicago and DC (not for a cruise obviously but using public trans with luggage). I did do it for a cruise in Boston and it was no big deal. Boston people were eager to provide assistance without asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Two of us are coming in on a Fri in August for an AK cruise on Mon. We're looking to save money on a hotel cause it's basically a bed and shower. I've been to SF several times b4 but had a friend that lived in Belmont. I found BART to be convenient to get into city for sightseeing etc so was thinking we'd have more economical options staying near SFO. My question is this....do hotels close to airport have free or low cost shuttles between them and SFO and how much hassle would it be to deal with luggage on the train to the pier? I have done this in Boston a couple of times and also in Chicago and DC (not for a cruise obviously but using public trans with luggage). I did do it for a cruise in Boston and it was no big deal. Boston people were eager to provide assistance without asking.

Most of the hotels near SFO offer free shuttle service to Bart. You would need to check with the hotels.

You could also take the free Hotel shuttle to the airport and take Super Shuttle from the airport to the Pier. I just got a quote for myself and it was $17.00 for the first person and $10.00 for each additional.

We decided to stay at the Marriott Fishermans Wharf and take BART from the airport. Got a good rate through AAA and gives us a chance to walk around town the day prior and not be rushed getting to the pier.

We're thinking of doing the same thing, however it looks like the closest BART station is at Embarcadero. From there, it's a bit far to walk with baggage to Fisherman's Wharf. Does anyone know if it is relatively easy to catch a cab at the BART station exit? This would be around 9 pm on a Friday...

Please define "good rate" at wharf or Embarcdero area. I don't want to say my friend and I are cheap but we certainly are practical and budget conscious! 😝. At this point we are booked @ the Hampton Inn/Suites @ SFO and will take their airport shuttle and then get BART into town to do what we want to do. We're not night owls so ️prob wrap up with early dinner and head back to the crib to rest up for the next day's excitement! 😊😝

When I was last staying near SFO, I was at La Quinta. No complaints.

http://www.expedia.ca/San-Francisco-Hotels-La-Quinta-Inn-Suites-San-Francisco-Airport-West.h26945.Hotel-Information?chkin=14/03/2015&chkout=15/03/2015&rm1=a2

However, catching the shuttle was slow and I discovered later there was a BART surcharge from the airport. What do the locals think about hotels near the Daly City BART station? Save on the BART and possibly walking distance to the station? Thoughts? Alternatives?

Edited by xlxo