A FULL DAY in NO ~ What are the MUSTS to do, see and eat at???

Greek cruiser

Coming to NO in April. We will have a day as a family (kids are 22 and older) to see NO before cruising the next day.

What places should we be sure not to miss and what places/areas should we stay clear from?

Thank you!!

I heard that many side streets are dangerous and it is best to just stay on the main street. Also, that I should leave jewelry in the hotel, as well as a large pocketbook. The less stuff, the better.

YES???

New Orleans is like any other city...be aware of where you are and who is around you. The French Quarter is safe...don't go down deserted streets late at night. Very rare that there won't be plenty of people around. Where are you staying?

Make sure that you walk around the Quarter...Jackson square, French market, royal street. Everyone should walk bourbon street at night at least once..it is an experience. If you have time take the streetcar up st. Charles and look at the old mansions.

Have beignets at cafe du mode, a muffuletta from central grocery and if you like oysters...acme or Felix..they also have gumbo, jambalaya and other specialties. If you want a nicer dinner try one of emeril's places...NOLA or Emerils.

With only one day, I would start the day by taking the streetcar (1.25 cash each way) to the Garden District and do a self-guided walking tour. See: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-orleans/717266

Then have a quick lunch before doing a guided tour of the St. Louis Cemetery #1. (We did the 1pm tour with French Quarter Phantoms.)

Spend the rest of the afternoon and evening in the FQ. If the lines are too long for Cafe du Monde (they were when we were there a couple weeks ago), just pick up a box of their beignet mix in any of several FQ stores or at the airport. I've had beignets at Cafe du Monde in the past and the ones you make at home with their mix are just as good--plus you don't have to squeeze yourself into a small table surrounded by hundreds of other people!

With only one day, I would start the day by taking the streetcar (1.25 cash each way) to the Garden District and do a self-guided walking tour. See: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-orleans/717266

Then have a quick lunch before doing a guided tour of the St. Louis Cemetery #1. (We did the 1pm tour with French Quarter Phantoms.)

Spend the rest of the afternoon and evening in the FQ. If the lines are too long for Cafe du Monde (they were when we were there a couple weeks ago), just pick up a box of their beignet mix in any of several FQ stores or at the airport. I've had beignets at Cafe du Monde in the past and the ones you make at home with their mix are just as good--plus you don't have to squeeze yourself into a small table surrounded by hundreds of other people!

Where would you recommend we get that quick lunch? There doesn't seem to be many (if any) places close to Cemetery #1.

If you go up to the garden district first...I would walk to magazine and have a poboy at mahoneys or oyster loaf at casements...but I would still say to do the French quarter first and then if you think you have time just ride the streetcar on st. Charles and back.

Coming to NO in April. We will have a day as a family (kids are 22 and older) to see NO before cruising the next day.

What places should we be sure not to miss and what places/areas should we stay clear from?

Thank you!!

I heard that many side streets are dangerous and it is best to just stay on the main street. Also, that I should leave jewelry in the hotel, as well as a large pocketbook. The less stuff, the better.

YES???

Slightly different question, if I took a cruise from NO in March and wanted to spend a week or so post cruise, what hotel would you recommend? I want something in the French Quarter with a balcony, if possible, and also want to feel secure since I'm traveling solo and I'm an "older" woman! :D

I'm retired, free to travel and want to soak up some of vibes of your beautiful city, love jazz, love to eat! :)

Thanks, Sue

Where would you recommend we get that quick lunch? There doesn't seem to be many (if any) places close to Cemetery #1.

Mother's is a must! Plus you can get breakfast all day in case someone would rather have that instead of lunch. What to order? Everything is good but they are famous for their "debris" which is the end pieces of their roast beef.

http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/index.html

Another good option is Central Grocery IF you like muffalettas. Just make sure you know--no substitutions, have your money ready, keep the line moving, lol. http://www.originalpierremasperos.com/menu

If you are down around the French market, Maspero's has really good red beans and rice. http://www.originalpierremasperos.com/menu