Transport help.

Milesman

We are cruising from Singapore to Southampton, on the Rotterdam. Arriving on 6th of April. Trying to arrange transport from Southampton to Preston, Lancs. Holland America and Imagine cruising, say it's not their Problem. They never mentioned that when we booked with them. The girl on the phone said that they were associated with Cunard. This apparently is news to Cunard. Any help please.

The passenger rail network in Britain is generally fast and efficient. Unfortunately there are no longer London-bound boat trains departing from the Southampton docks. It is a short taxi trip to Southampton Central. It has cost us about £5.

There are about 25 rail operating companies in Britain and the fare system can be confusing (we always travel with a Britrailpass, so we don't need to buy tickets) but this central site contains a huge amount of information: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk From my experience, when asking for a trip from point "A" to point "B" it doesn't give you every possible connection - which is understandable because there are so many possibilities. It's just a bit early to get precise information for your day of travel, but any day now the booking period should be extended as generally bookings can be made three months in advance.

There are no direct trains between Southampton and Preston Lancs. Nationalrail is showing the connection via Birmingham International as being the most convenient, i.e. the fewest changes - one. The connection shown is rather tight. If it was me, I would go via Manchester where there are more connections to Preston. I recommend first class, despite the sometimes high fares, because of the roomier seats and complimentary refreshments. Cross-country offers complimentary food and non-alcoholic beverages and Virgin Trains offers food, including hot meals and all beverages including alcoholic ones. (The wine is actually quite good:).) On a day close to your day of travel Nationalrail is quoting a first class advance fare from £109 to £177 for the Birmingham connection. If you go through Manchester (you have to look up two trips to get the full choice of trains and fares) it will cost £69 for the first leg and from £11 to £16 for the second. Standard class fares are much cheaper, but I don't recommend it for long trips.

There may be motor coaches available from Southampton to Preston, which would no doubt be cheaper, but I don't travel more than two hours by road so I can't comment. Some cruise lines arrange coach connections from Southampton to a variety of destinations (we often take Cunard's connection from Southampton to London Gatwick) but it sounds like HAL does not.

We are cruising from Singapore to Southampton, on the Rotterdam. Arriving on 6th of April. Trying to arrange transport from Southampton to Preston, Lancs. Holland America and Imagine cruising, say it's not their Problem. They never mentioned that when we booked with them. The girl on the phone said that they were associated with Cunard. This apparently is news to Cunard. Any help please.

Holland America and Cunard are both owned by Carnival Corporation. Yes, they are associated. But they are different companies.