January weather aboard Norwegian Jewel

missatx

If you have been on a Caribbean cruise in December or January, what should I expect the weather to be like? What will be most people be wearing during the day? Shorts and short sleeves? Jeans and jackets?

Thank you from a first time cruiser packing for the January 17 trip!

The weather at your ports of call should be nice and warm. I would imagine there could be a chance of rain each afternoon as that's typical in the Caribbean. You'll be fine with shorts and a T-shirt during the day. You need to watch the weather in Houston though as it could be chilly and rainy depending upon if a storm system is passing through. We were on the Jewel in Nov and sail away was cloudy, windy, chilly, with drizzle. But, the weather on debarkation day was wonderful. Just watch the forecast and be prepared.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

Simply go to a weather site and put in the name of the port.

St Thomas:

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USVI9994

Remember though that some of the interior restaurants, venues, etc can get a bit cool from the AC so take a light sweater in anticipation of that.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by ColinIllinois

We were on the holiday cruise (Christmas and New Year's) on the Pearl, about 2 weeks ago.

This was southern Caribbean, but starting at St Thomas (not really in the south), the weather was quite warm, and usually very humid as well.

It definitely felt like "the tropics", in part due to the high humidity.

The interior areas of the ship were kept comfortably cool, but not "cold".

In our suite, we had to crank all of the thermostats to the coolest settings, but that worked well and we had no complaints.

The only time the "cold inside" was really noticed, was stepping back into the suite from the balcony.

In other areas of the ship, there was more of a temperature gradient, because more people were coming and going and the air was often mixing, I think. Also, I'm sure we kept our suite colder than most of the public areas, although we never felt they were too warm.

We were actually impressed with the temperature control.

(We've been in motels where one just could not get the room cool enough, and that's misery.)

We can't wait to take another winter vacation (cruise or otherwise) in the area!

And yes, there were a few afternoon showers a few times, but each ended quickly.

We were very fortunate, with almost perfect temperatures, and really calm sailing. (We understand the cruises immediately before ours also had calm seas. Nice for everyone!)

GeezerCouple

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the Jewel yesterday, leaving from Houston and went to Cozumel, Belize City, and Roatan. Houston was fine when we left, the three ports were warm/hot, and the last sea day was super cold and rainy. Basically the last sea day we spent inside hiding from any doors. I also carried a light sweater with me around the ship, as some areas are cold and some are warm - Fyzz for some reason was always roasting, but Spinnaker was freezing.