My new obsession- Tamarind/Yogurt Soup

hockeyucf

Iced Apricot Cream

1 can apricot halves, drained

1 package plain yogurt

sugar, if needed

apricot nectar or orange juice, if needed

Puree canned drained apricots. Add just enough yogurt to give a fresh tang. You do not want to dilute intense apricot flavor.

If necessary to thin, add syrup from the drained apricots OR apricot nectar OR orange juice, but beware of making it too sweet.

Chill. Garnish with grated orange rinds or finely chopped toasted almonds.

Go to http://www.kalustyans.com to get the tamarind pulp. They have it canned or dried. Click on the list for "Fruit and Fruit Products" on the left hand side of the home page and then click on "pulps" on the next page.

Kalustyan's is here in NY and it's the best store for indian and middle eastern food products and they do a big mail order business.

Jane

Thank you Kendon and hockeyucf for posting ways of finding the paste. You other two little rascals can find yours at your local Super Tamarind Store. I wont' mention names, you know who your are;) .

JJones, thanks for the recipes. These will be lovely summertime treats. Can't wait to try them out.

I tried the recipe so kindly posted by JJones, and it came out pretty darn good! I used non-fat yogurt and low-fat ice cream, so it wasn't quite as rich, and actual pulp from tamarind pods (as opposed to the paste), and I just made up the water/sugar ratio for the lemon.

Thanks for satisfying my withdrawals!

Cara

Archived