WHY we always fly in a day early

moki'smommy

True story, but fortunately I was not going to a cruise. I left my home airport, flight was delayed 15 minutes. Connection at O'Hare was a little tight, but internet indicated they were holding the flight. We sat on the tarmac for an hour waiting for a gate, then waited 3 more hours in the terminal. There was a nasty storm in Chicago. Finally they cancel the flight. Funny thing, they had cancelled the previous flight to my final destination too, so many of the upcoming flights were already full.

When I got to the customer service desk, I was told that the next available direct flight to my destination was not for 2 days! The man behind me heard it and declared that was unacceptable as he'd miss his ship if that happened. They sent me running to a plane to IAH that was on final boarding because from there, I'd be able to get a flight to my final destination after only an 11 hour wait. My supposed 12 hour journey took 40 hours! home airport to O'Hare to Houston to final destination. Needless to say, I arrived exhausted and fried.

OK, there may have been options--I didn't have time to check other airlines for a flight out of O'Hare, etc. Yes, I know it is stupid to route thru Chicago in the winter, but the choices I had were Chicago, Detroit, or Minneapolis..and any one of those could have weather issues. I LOOKED for a more southern connecting airport before my initial booking.

The point here is that the best plans you can make can go wildly off kilter. Don't think that travel insurance will "help." Yes, it can pay for your trip...but that really doesn't fully make up for the ruined vacation should you miss the ship.

My logic is always that if I'm in Orlando the day before, then somehow I'm going to be on that ship. If I'm sitting at my home airport or a connecting airport, I can't be sure that I'll be hearing the horn as she leaves PC.

First, let me say I love reading your CC posts. Right On, time after time!

We drive to PC almost all the time; always arrive the day before, rest up in a DVC room somewhere onsite, eat a big breakfast at Boma's early, and arrive PC at 10:30 when the gates open. Rarely miss the first numbered group to board and begin enjoying a relaxing DCL cruise.

Even with a cruise out of Galveston (just a few hours drive away), we arrive the day before. Years ago a flat tire when driving in the morning of the cruise nearly caused us to miss the ship - made it by 10 minutes!

If we can manage it, our cruise travels also end with an extra day before we start travel home - relax and savor the memories before returning to the real world.

True story' date=' but fortunately I was not going to a cruise. I left my home airport, flight was delayed 15 minutes. Connection at O'Hare was a little tight, but internet indicated they were holding the flight. We sat on the tarmac for an hour waiting for a gate, then waited 3 more hours in the terminal. There was a nasty storm in Chicago. Finally they cancel the flight. Funny thing, they had cancelled the previous flight to my final destination too, so many of the upcoming flights were already full.

When I got to the customer service desk, I was told that the next available direct flight to my destination was not for 2 days! The man behind me heard it and declared that was unacceptable as he'd miss his ship if that happened. They sent me running to a plane to IAH that was on final boarding because from there, I'd be able to get a flight to my final destination after only an 11 hour wait. My supposed 12 hour journey took 40 hours! home airport to O'Hare to Houston to final destination. Needless to say, I arrived exhausted and fried.

OK, there may have been options--I didn't have time to check other airlines for a flight out of O'Hare, etc. Yes, I know it is stupid to route thru Chicago in the winter, but the choices I had were Chicago, Detroit, or Minneapolis..and any one of those could have weather issues. I LOOKED for a more southern connecting airport before my initial booking.

The point here is that the best plans you can make can go wildly off kilter. Don't think that travel insurance will "help." Yes, it can pay for your trip...but that really doesn't fully make up for the ruined vacation should you miss the ship.

My logic is always that if I'm in Orlando the day before, then somehow I'm going to be on that ship. If I'm sitting at my home airport or a connecting airport, I can't be sure that I'll be hearing the horn as she leaves PC.[/quote']

Totally agree, as I usually do!

AKK

Even with a cruise out of Galveston (just a few hours drive away), we arrive the day before. Years ago a flat tire when driving in the morning of the cruise nearly caused us to miss the ship - made it by 10 minutes!

Too true. I was on a cruise out of Baltimore and a woman from DC missed the ship. It was a 1 1/2 hour drive so she left 2 hours before final boarding. Never did hear her reasoning. Anyways, she got stuck in traffic within sight of the terminal, then watched the ship sail away without her. And, she didn't have travel insurance either.

Great reminder, but I also wanted to say I'm sorry you had to deal with this. I would be a basket case with that long of a delay.:(

I'm flying in THREE days early for our January cruise and will spend them in WDW. My daughter can't fly in until the day before (which makes me so nervous because she flies out of Chicago), but she chose the first flight of the day (before 6 a.m.) in case there are delays.

I hope you have a nice time in spite of the long delays!:)

Oh, the best of all possible worlds is to fly in several days ahead and spend them at WDW....but that's not always possible. In my mind, flying in one day ahead needs to be happening, even if it means taking kid out of school/missing work for that day. In my mind, 3 days ahead means I have the time and can enjoy a WDW vacation. One day ahead means I'm cruising and this is just my safety.

Another point, it allows time for missing luggage to catch up with you. And yes, mine got here about 15 hours after I did.

I'm having a lovely time finally. I even woke up only a few hours off schedule today! Thanks for the good wishes.

Fingers are crossed here. We are flying in the night before. Arriving from Philadelphia around 11pm... Philly doesn't close often, but from time to time there are delays. We got a direct flight from Philly to Orlando so hopefully... well fingers are crossed that there isn't a major snowstorm.

Silly, you are still coming in the night before--even if it is the last flight the night before. You have built in a small safety window. If that flight is delayed, you have and extra 12 hours or so...if cancelled, at least you have a shot at it the next morning. And obviously, a direct flight is safer than one with a layover. But if you live where I do, there is no such thing as a direct flight (almost). All the major airlines have stopped directs to Orlando. (groan)