Blimey !!! - Belize - I'm Shocked

delirious9876

• 1 month later...
Then please don't engage in any.

:D

To the poster who doesn't want their kids having homosexuals all up in their face, I sure hope they don't catch the gay!!! That would be horrible. It is so incredibly contagious. I met a black man the other day and I think I am now turning black!!!! How will my family ever accept me!?

I find it odd that a cruise forum is having a political debate on homosexuality and that so many people on here are giving their personal opinions on the practice rather than sending the original posting party some useful information. Here is a quote from the ONLY reliable source on this information...the United States Department of State. I have posted the following information from the government website:

LGBT RIGHTS: The current criminal code states that “carnal intercourse” with any person “against the order of nature” shall receive a punishment of 10 years’ imprisonment. This law was interpreted as including only sex between men, but the law was rarely enforced. Additionally, the Immigration Act prohibits “homosexual” persons from entering the country, but immigration authorities did not enforce that law. In May 2013, the Government of Belize (GOB) released its Revised National Gender Policy 2013 (RNGP), shortly after the closing arguments before the Supreme Court on a constitutional challenge to the “anti-sodomy” element of the Belize Criminal Code. The Court has not yet issued its decision. The RNGP was the first document that was endorsed by the Government of Belize cabinet to include sexual orientation as a protected status. This has generated some opposition and protest by socially conservative groups.

The tourist friendly San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, remains relatively open and welcoming to the LGBT community. Outside of the tourist friendly Cayes, LGBT persons, especially males, are reluctant to display affection in public (including holding hands) because incidents of verbal or physical assault have been reported. There continues to be a significant hostile sentiment towards individuals who identify themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered (LGBT). LGBT issues are frequently highlighted in the press and can spur passionate discussions at community forums or public protests, and there have been some instances of violence reported against LGBT individuals.

For more detailed information about LGBT rights in Belize, you may review the State Department’s Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2013. For further information on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) travel, please read our LGBT Travel Information page.

If anyone ever has any questions on this or other country specific information, please consult this website and you find quality information:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country.html

You can raise your kids the way you want it and keep them away from straight couples. It doesn't bother me at all. I'll stay away from gay couples, it's hard to explain at their early age why some kids have 2 mommys.

You know what's hard to explain to kids? Death. Much harder than simply explaining to a child that some women love men and some women love women and some men love men. And that each person is different and it's not a person's responsibility to judge one another but it's okay to love who you love.

Of course it would take significantly longer to explain if you add any intangible concepts or explanations in addition to that because I've observed that children tend to comprehend things that are tangible much more quickly than those that aren't. I wouldn't considered death or faith tangible to a child at a young age while love is something that should be tangible to every child if raised in a loving, supportive household with two parents who also genuinely love each other. Of course this is just an observation in response to a rather biased and opaque statement.

Edited by dreweyj

That would make too much sence. Lately gay couples been up in your face with public display of their fillings. I didn't know about this law , but I now feel a lot better that my kids won't get exposed to homosexuality while we're in Belize.

This may present a wonderful opportunity to educate your children about the importance of proper dental hygiene (and the preventative benefits of brushing & flossing), so that they can avoid cavities and the shame that they may experience from the possibility of potentially exposing their fillings to the public later on in their lives.