Self-Guided Walking Tours

rm1247

We will only have a day in NOLA pre-cruise, but I'd like to make the most of it. I've been searching for a self-guided walking tour to use as a starting point or general guide, and I'm surprised that there aren't many options. The best I've found so far are three different ones from Frommer's, http://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-orleans/717264#sthash.fBnkzMgL.dpbs . Has anyone used these tours? Are they a good starting point?

We are in decent shape and enjoy walking. I won't stress over completing the tours, but do you think they are a good starting point or should I look for something simpler? If we only have one day, is Esplanade Ridge something we should explore, or should we stick to the French Quarter and may-be the Garden District?

We were in NOLA a couple weeks ago and did the Frommers self-guided walking tour of the French Quarter and the one for the Garden District. I thought they were both very good for giving you a quick overview of both places.

The recommended times to complete the walks were spot-on. We did the Garden District walk in about 45 minutes and the FQ tour in just under 2 hours.

We took the streetcar over to the Garden District after breakfast and did the walking tour there. Then we headed back to the FQ where we did a 1pm guided tour of St. Louis Cemetery #1 with French Quarter Phantoms. This tour finished up around 2:30pm so we had plenty of time for the self-guided walking tour of the French Quarter.

You should be able to see and do a lot in one day in NOLA.

• 4 weeks later...

I did it my way......I made a map of what I wanted to see! I walked from Ursuline between Chartres and Bourbon all the way to Bienville weaving in and out of each street bettween either Chartres, Royal, or Bourbon and it only took me around 90 minutes. I wanted to find the film shoot for NCIS New Orleans.....well, the second film set since the first shoot location was a block away from my hotel.....