Kimberley Coast on Silversea Explorer

sallyhattie

Good evening. My sister and I are considering the Silversea Explorer round the Kimberley Coast at Easter 2016. Not new to cruising, we are Crystal fans, but wanted to see this particular area and not used to Silversea. Very varied reviews and would appreciate advice. Many thanks.

It seems nobody is going to comment… so…..

Discoverer is not (yet) a 5* experience in terms of it's hotel functions.

It's (imho), a 6*+ experience as an expedition ship.

The Kimberley is one of Australia's (many) treasures… come and enjoy..

Get wet tired dirty drunk(if that suits).. and most of all have fun !!!

The expedition team will educate entertain and include you ...what more can an expedition ship offer ?

otoh .. If an "ordinary" breakfast.. an occasional dinner faux pas..or a plain glass of wine …..will spoil your cruise….perhaps look elsewhere

Goodness .... we like Crystal, but we come from good Highland (mongrel) stock and are nice people! Love an occasional faux pas!

The reviews which come to the top if you google are not very complimentary about the ship itself, not the staff or itinerary ... we were taking these with a pinch of salt, but I was just asking for advice. I fully understand that on an expedition ship it will be completely different to an ordinary cruise. There are other companies offering Kimberley cruises, I just wondered what would give Silversea the edge.

We've both been to Australia before, visiting family, and have wanted to go to this area for years. I was around Cairns 30 years ago when there were very few tourists and off the beaten track in Indonesia before that when, on one occasion, the whole village came out to look as I was so pale. Haven't been able to do much exploring due to family and work recently, but looking forward to coming to Australia again. If Silversea means getting wet, tired, dirty and drunk it sounds perfect!

My post does seem a tad blunt.. it was not intended 2b that way.. sorry… :-)

I guess I was attempting to highlight the differences between expedition and regular cruises.

Happy to try to answer any specific questions….

The ship is pleasant enough , she seemed quite tiny when we boarded but we soon found benefits in being only a few steps fro everywhere….

"Quaint" is a word that might be used ; in terms of layout and appointments she is easily criticised when compared to newer ships.

Cabins are small , bathrooms even more so with little ventilation, but all in good order and very well serviced. The Internet is super fast and affordable.

The Discoverer certainly lacks the Timeless Class of the Silver Explorer, a quite magnificent little ship.

True North has been working the Kimberley for many years , carries it's own chopper , and may well be a classier experience.

Coral Princess cruises also operate in the Kimberley .

All 3 have differentiations , but it's the expedition teams who make or break these cruises.

The Silversea expedition department seems extremely well run ; they are all at once well organised and hard working , but fun and enthusiastic to be around. What more can one ask ?

We sailed with the Discoverer from Honiara to Auckland a few months ago. We've sailed about 100 days on the Explorer and will join her in Usuhia on 1/19 Have booked 60 days on The Discoverer in 2016.

So as to not discriminate, we also have many days on the Classic fleet and have booked about about 30 days on the Cloud and Spirit this year.

The Expedition staff on all of our cruises have been our mentors, camp counselors and friends....and they are why we keep returning. They turn dreams into memories.

Overall, I prefer the Explorer because of the Observation Lounge on Deck 6 and the bar area on deck 5. However, the Zodiac loading from the stern on deck 3 on Discoverer is far easier than the side gates on the Explorer.

We've been in the owners suite on the Explorer - fantastic, balcony suites on the Discoverer and 408/413 on the Explorer.

We always look forward to returning to the Silver Sea family.

Packing now for Saturday flight to Buenos Aires.

Silversea , for all their faults , seem to inculcate amazing loyalty among their customers.

The Venetian society roll calls and the dinner conversations often remind me of this loyalty.