QM2 Tendering and steps

Early Retiree

We will be on QM2 in May and there are several tender ports. My husband has some problem with steps. When we tender from the ship roughly how many steps will we use to get to the tender? Is there elevator access to the point where we exit the ship's hull?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Merril

It is a pretty considerable and steep staircase. That said they do ask guests who are differently abled to hang back a little while. This makes me think they do something to accommodate that.

I saw they had a separate port shuttle for differently abled people when I was aboard. I think they take pretty good care of the situation. I'm sure the more experienced can comment further, but I am thinking you shouldn't worry.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/Wheelchair_tender says

Can wheelchair users use tender launches to go ashore?

Every effort will be made to offer access to the shore by the ship's launches but you must have some independent mobility to step in and out of the launch itself.

For safety reasons, our crew are unable to lift passengers into and out of the launch. You must have personal mobility and be able to walk down the steps into the tender and up steps pier side as you disembark from the tender.

Please be advised in order to allow collapsible scooters and motorised wheelchairs to be taken ashore safely the equipment must be in its collapsible state before entering the queue for the tender. The collapsing and transferring in and out of the tender must be managed by the guest or travelling companion as crew are unable to assist, and no individual part must weigh more than 23kg.

I believe there's an elevator to take one down the rather steep stairs (15 or so steps) to the tender platform (DW takes watercolor lessons in what becomes the entry security area at the top of the stairs so I've had a bit more time to notice it) . This leaves the step from the platform onto the tender itself. It is a level transition but the difficulty arises from the motion of the tender itself. The tender crew is experienced in assisting those with moderate mobility issues in making the transition.