Help (digital cameras vs disposable cameras for cruise)

eminence_front

We are in the stone ages. We used the disposable cameras; however, we're getting ready to fly out and go on a cruise, and we've heard that film in those cameras can demagnetize in the x-ray machine. Would we still be OK if we carried those in our carry-on bag, or is a digital camera worth the extra expense?

We are in the stone ages. We used the disposable cameras; however, we're getting ready to fly out and go on a cruise, and we've heard that film in those cameras can demagnetize in the x-ray machine. Would we still be OK if we carried those in our carry-on bag, or is a digital camera worth the extra expense?

The added expense is soon forgotten when you can take thousands of photos and never worry about processing cost. You can print as many or few, as you like either at home or local store.

Most digital cameras have review ability. We always enjoy seeing the day's activities again in the evening. Any bad shots can be deleted at this time.

Basic computer skills are required but since you posted here, that requirement is proven. There are hundreds of cameras priced from cheap to very expensive. All of them will do as well as a disposable camera. FWIW, I am biased toward Nikon. I have a CP8700.

We used disposable cameras on our cruise and I had them hand-screen them at the airport security so they wouldn't go through the x-ray machines. Then, we got to the cruise terminal and they told me to put them through the x-ray machine and that it wouldn't hurt them at all. I was nervous that it would ruin the film, but my pictures turned out great ~ didn't hurt them at all.

This cruise, I have a digital camera so I will be using that. I'll still use a few disposable underwater cameras for snorkeling/swimming pictures, though.

Not sure about the xray machines ruining the disposables. I haven't heard anything about that. I will be taking my brand new digital and new video camera. I do buy a couple of disposables for places like the beach so as not to ruin my good camera. Also if my son decides to go off wandering somewhere close by I can hand that one over to him "just in case". But alot of your picture taking will be on the ship so why not take the good one?

Don't put film in checked baggage. (Developed film is ok) You can request a hand inspection at the passenger screening.

If you are used to disposible cameras, digitals will have lots of features you have never used. While you don't have to use those features, a wrong button push can get you somewhere you don't want to be. There is some additional maintenance - like keeping the battery charged. There are some additional differences between digital and film cameras and lots of digitals to chose from.

I use digital, but have also used miles of film. I wouldn't switch from something I was comfortable with unless I had enough time to practice with it before hand.

Do you know someone who will let you play with their digital camera before you take the plunge?

But back to film...

The official warning:

Film

The equipment used to screen checked baggage will damage undeveloped film. Pack your undeveloped film in your carry-on bag. High speed and specialty film should be hand inspected at the security checkpoint. To facilitate hand-inspection, remove your undeveloped film from the canister and pack in a clear plastic bag.

The screening equipment will not affect digital cameras and electronic image storage cards.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1035.xml

Archived