Changes to NCL cancellation policy

hawkeyetlse

Has anyone else noticed the new cancellation policy in effect for bookings since January 1, 2015? Things have apparently become much nicer for Haven bookings, which now follow the same rules as cheap bookings. Seems like a big change.

But the rules for holiday sailings are now less advantageous, with penalties starting earlier and going up faster than for other sailings. By the way, does anyone know exactly which holidays count as holiday sailings?

• 1 month later...
Has anyone else noticed the new cancellation policy in effect for bookings since January 1, 2015? Things have apparently become much nicer for Haven bookings, which now follow the same rules as cheap bookings. Seems like a big change.
Coming back to this thread to say that the website has since been updated to reinstate the stricter cancellation policy for the Haven (so actually no change from the previous policy in effect before January 1, 2015).

And they have clarified that the term "holiday sailings" only refers to Christmas and New Year's.

Yes, the payment schedule has changed for the highest stateroom categories. I think it makes sense for the final payment date to coincide with the beginning of the cancellation penalty period. The previous policy, where the penalty period for suites began 30 days before final payment, came as a nasty surprise to some people who assumed they could cancel for free before final payment…

Coming back to this thread to say that the website has since been updated to reinstate the stricter cancellation policy for the Haven (so actually no change from the previous policy in effect before January 1, 2015).

And they have clarified that the term "holiday sailings" only refers to Christmas and New Year's.

Thank you for posting the update!! Wish NCL had sent a notice about the cancellation changes for Suites. I booked a Suite for 2016 on POA at the end of January and noted the various dates and amounts that were on the site at that time. I'm actually a little surprised that NCL can/would change a cancellation policy without notice, as well as make it effective to bookings made under the previous one. Maybe that's just me always hoping companies do the right thing for their customers.

Thank you for posting the update!! Wish NCL had sent a notice about the cancellation changes for Suites. I booked a Suite for 2016 on POA at the end of January and noted the various dates and amounts that were on the site at that time. I'm actually a little surprised that NCL can/would change a cancellation policy without notice, as well as make it effective to bookings made under the previous one. Maybe that's just me always hoping companies do the right thing for their customers.

So you have NCL's confirmation dated after Jan 1, 2015 that has different dates for cancellation schedule listed than on the site now?

I'm actually a little surprised that NCL can/would change a cancellation policy without notice, as well as make it effective to bookings made under the previous one.

What makes you think they've done either thing? As I read it, the cancellation policy depends on date of booking.

Check your Cruise Confirmation. It's an NCL document. Ask your TA to send it to you, or if you booked direct, it should have been emailed to you at the time of booking. If you can't find it, your PCC or someone at the NCL reservations number can re-send it to you. Toward the bottom of the first page you'll see the cancellation schedule that applies to your specific reservation.

I have two non-holiday cruises that were booked after Jan 1, both of them SC. For both of them the penalty period begins at final payment, which is 75 days before sailing.

The longer penalty period has previously applied to the higher suites only: Haven, Villas, and depending on the ship, SA, SB, and S1. That doesn't appear to have changed with the new policy.

Check your Cruise Confirmation. It's an NCL document. Ask your TA to send it to you, or if you booked direct, it should have been emailed to you at the time of booking.

Not all TAs forward NCL's confirmations - our doesnt, they only send their own that states their final payment day that is usually about a week before NCL's but their confirmation has nothing like the table of cancellation dates in NCL's confirmations.

Not all TAs forward NCL's confirmations - our doesnt, they only send their own that states their final payment day that is usually about a week before NCL's but their confirmation has nothing like the table of cancellation dates in NCL's confirmations.

If you want it, ask for it. I assure you, NCL has sent it to your TA. Your TA should send it to you if you ask for it. It's not classified. However, it won't reflect any perks or discount the travel agency might be giving you on your cruise fare, so I understand why travel agents don't automatically forward it to clients.

Same thing with the official Amenity Confirmation. If you book with a TA, NCL sends the Amenity Confirmation to your TA. You can't (usually) get it by calling NCL, but you can get it by asking your TA. It's a good idea to get an updated Amenity Confirmation from your TA a week or two before you sail. That way you can confirm that any TA-provided OBC has been correctly applied to your account. If there are any discrepancies on board, it's much easier to get them resolved if you can give Guest Services on the ship a copy of your Amenity Confirmation.

Edited by Pikaia

So you have NCL's confirmation dated after Jan 1, 2015 that has different dates for cancellation schedule listed than on the site now?

I booked a cruise a few weeks ago on the Escape for the Heaven H5 and then on February 24th had to change my date for later in January and my new confirmation from NCL says:

>75 days prior for sailing up to 11/9/2015

for a sailing date of January 23rd, 2016.

Harriet