Breakaway Booked!

MFJones95

Hi All,

I just booked our first cruise today for August this year. I have been reading up on the BA and it seems to be a huge ship with plenty of things to do. It's just my wife and I and possibly a few friends if they decide to go too. I have a couple of questions. I'm new to this so I'm sure there is a lot of this on here but hang with me.

1) Up until now, we have only been to resorts. You know the deal here, you wake up early, put a towel on a chair by the pool, or your out of luck. What's the deal with a cruise, specifically the BA? I imagine it being crowded or at the very least a challenge finding a nice place to relax in the sun or near the action. What is the atmosphere like? I know we are going during high season so it will most likely be a full ship but I keep reading about reserving this or upgrade for that, in order to avoid waiting or to have special access to a part of the ship. I am also weary about spending a lot on extras. I dont mind a specialty dinner and maybe an excursion but I am already paying a lot and dont want to break the bank.

2) Is there wifi? I would really like to at least send a few emails throughout the week so I know how things are going back home and vice versa. Is there any way to get online to do so?

3) How is the gym on the ship? Mostly treadmills? weights?

Edited by MFJones95
Addition

I'm going on the Breakaway for the first time next month, but I can answer your questions as they pertain to almost every other cruise ship.

1. Lounge chairs right next to the pool DO fill up quickly. In my experience, If you're not out by the pool by 10am, you won't get a lounge chair right next to it. HOWEVER, there are plenty of spots in the vicinity of the pool, so you'll be able to find a chair somewhere, but it might not be right next to the pool. Some people reserve their chairs with towels, but as you can imagine, this cause a lot of angst among your fellow passengers. My favorite place to lounge is on the promenade deck. On the Breakaway its called the waterfront. Think of it as a giant covered porch that wraps around the ship. You're under cover, so the sun isn't right on you, and you're down near the water so you can hear the waves.

2. Most ships, including the Breakaway have wifi. There's also an internet cafe that you can sit in to access the internet. Ships used to charge by the minute, and it got very expensive, very quickly, however, I hear that the Breakaway charges based on the amount of data you use. A few e-mails shouldn't break the bank.