Western Caribbean Cruise with manual wheelchair.

ShelbyTN

I am a full time manual wheelchair (paraplegic cannot walk even one step) user my husband and I are taking our first cruise in December was hoping for so information. It is a western Caribbean with ports in Cozumel, Mexico, George Town, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay, Jamaica, and Cococay, Bahamas. Two are tendered so not sure I can get off the ship in those ports.

I would be interested in any suggestions on excursions or what to do at these ports. I have tried to google but haven't come up with much. I read one thread where someone took a private tour in Montego Bay and it was a reasonable price but he did not have the cost and now I can't find the thread. Any help would be appreciated.

We have an accessible balcony room so that will be okay it is the ports I am concerned with or wanting to enjoy along with time on the ship.

Thanks

Have you tried the Ports of Call boards here at CC? Coco Cay will be discussed under Private Islands. I tried Mr. Google for 'accessible Cozumel' and there were several options. Also tried 'Accessible Montego Bay' and got links to several threads here at CC. Try the search feature in this forum. EM

I am a full time manual wheelchair (paraplegic cannot walk even one step) user my husband and I are taking our first cruise in December was hoping for so information. It is a western Caribbean with ports in Cozumel, Mexico, George Town, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay, Jamaica, and Cococay, Bahamas. Two are tendered so not sure I can get off the ship in those ports.

I would be interested in any suggestions on excursions or what to do at these ports. I have tried to google but haven't come up with much. I read one thread where someone took a private tour in Montego Bay and it was a reasonable price but he did not have the cost and now I can't find the thread. Any help would be appreciated.

We have an accessible balcony room so that will be okay it is the ports I am concerned with or wanting to enjoy along with time on the ship.

Thanks

As for tendering it really depends on cruise line. I also am a full time wheelchair user and Royal Caribbean has never denied me. Although when the weather is not the best I choose not to get off once in Grand Cayman. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Hi, ShelbyTN. My husband is manual wheelchair bound. We have been to all of the ports you plan to go except we were in Falmouth instead of Montego Bay. George Town and Cococay are both tenders. I can't speak for all cruise lines, but Royal Caribbean was very accommodating and actually lifted my husband aboard the tenders so we were able to go ashore. Cococay has a free beach wheelchair available for first come first serve. It was the first time my husband was able to enjoy the ocean since his accident. There are very few choices for accessible shore excursions through the ship. I am researching our next cruise in November. I am visiting the travel and tourism sites for each port and then following up with emails when I find something promising. I will say that you are going to love cruising and find that people are exceptionally nice and helpful. Happy travels!

Thanks for the responses. I haven't checked the port of calls forum here I am new to the forum and haven't paid attention to all the different categories but will check it out. I have looked at Celebrity forum it is the Celebrity Reflection we will be traveling on. The cruise is still months away actually in December but I want to be prepared. I am excited as is my husband!

Hi, ShelbyTN. My husband is manual wheelchair bound. We have been to all of the ports you plan to go except we were in Falmouth instead of Montego Bay. George Town and Cococay are both tenders. I can't speak for all cruise lines, but Royal Caribbean was very accommodating and actually lifted my husband aboard the tenders so we were able to go ashore. Cococay has a free beach wheelchair available for first come first serve. It was the first time my husband was able to enjoy the ocean since his accident. There are very few choices for accessible shore excursions through the ship. I am researching our next cruise in November. I am visiting the travel and tourism sites for each port and then following up with emails when I find something promising. I will say that you are going to love cruising and find that people are exceptionally nice and helpful. Happy travels!

Here is a pic of the beach wheelchair.

uploadfromtaptalk1421626126792.jpg.658233caf64026a32651c072228e2a14.jpg