What to do about Carribean Princess cruise this week

DeborahQ

My daughter's grandfather-in-law has had a sudden illness which is expected to be fatal . This may mean she will not be able to make our cruise set for Thursday of this week. I had a great deal come in the mail and booked us two weeks ago. I obtained private travel insurance from CSA. My question is will I have to pay additional for the single supplement if she cannot travel? Should I cancel with Princess?

Thanks in Advance for the help,

DQ

If she doesn't go and wants her money back via insurance you would have to pay a single supplement to go. If you paid her fare then you could just go ahead and go. I have had two cruises that I had booked with one of my nieces. I paid for both. She ended up not being able to go so once I checked in and got on board I just called the Purser's desk and let them know she wouldn't be traveling with me. I didn't have any issues.

My daughter's grandfather-in-law has had a sudden illness which is expected to be fatal . This may mean she will not be able to make our cruise set for Thursday of this week. I had a great deal come in the mail and booked us two weeks ago. I obtained private travel insurance from CSA. My question is will I have to pay additional for the single supplement if she cannot travel? Should I cancel with Princess?

Thanks in Advance for the help,

DQ

As a solo cruiser, you should not have to pay any additional fees. Single supplement with Princess is always the cruise price x 2. There is never any discount.

Now about canceling, that is hard to help you with. Will your daughter need you emotionally if the grandfather in law does pass? If she has good support around her, she should be fine. Just have a good honest conversation with her and go from there.

Also, think if you are ok doing the cruise alone. There are people to socialize with if you choose or quiet time for yourself. My last cruise in November had a very active roll call so if I wanted to meet up with someone, no problem. These are things to think about.

Lastly if you really wanted this to be time just for you and your daughter, maybe re-book for another time. Again, a nice open conversation with your daughter should help to answer everything.

As a solo cruiser, you should not have to pay any additional fees. Single supplement with Princess is always the cruise price x 2. There is never any discount.

Actually, this isn't true. The 2 cruises I just booked are both less than 100% for the single supplement. It's closer to 75%. Granted, the last few years it has been 100%, but before that, it was less and, as I said, the 2 I have booked now are less. I'm hoping they are going back to a more reasonable single supplement.

Maureen

Actually, this isn't true. The 2 cruises I just booked are both less than 100% for the single supplement. It's closer to 75%. Granted, the last few years it has been 100%, but before that, it was less and, as I said, the 2 I have booked now are less. I'm hoping they are going back to a more reasonable single supplement.
Correct. It's not always a 100% supplement. It depends on the sailing, promotion and cabin category. Balconies and mini-suites are more likely to pay double as a single. Insides and oceanviews are sometimes less.

:) Pam

If your cabinmate cancels at the last minute, or is a no-show at the dock on embarkation day, Princess absolutely has the right to re-fare you as a single should you decide to sail on your own--whether you have Princess insurance, third-party insurance or none at all. Now some people will report they were not re-fared; usually that comes down to a courtesy on the part of Princess--or merely an oversight.

You need to check the insurance policy that you have to see if there is an advance-cancellation requirement even if cancelling for a covered reason; Princess insurance will cover even if no-show-no-call at sailing but many private ones will not. So it is best to call Princess as soon as you decide if only your daughter is cancelling or both of you are. If you both decide to postpone your cruise both of you are covered even though it is your daughter's family involved but not yours. And you have to take into consideration that if you sail alone you will be re-fared at whatever the currently available single rate is which is likely not the promotional rate from two weeks ago.

OK, you've got a whole lot of answers. Here's another one ...

Your daughter has an independent insurance company. They are the ones that reimburse your daughter for her cruise fare, not Princess.

To Princess, she is simply a no-show as Princess doesn't return ANY money. You remain as the other occupant of the cabin who did show and there is no re-faring of your booking.

So, in short, you don't pay anything more.

Gentleman passed away this morning so I called Princess and was told that if she does not travel I will not have to pay additional for the room as the balcony's for my cruise are sold out. Although, I will only get the second person taxes back. I suppose that is my single supplement. I called hotel because room and discount rate were due to my daughter status with the hotel chain. Marriot says they will honor the rate even if I come alone. Everyone has been so kind to us. The funeral is out of our home state. I know my daughter wants to come with me but is conflicted. I am being as supportive I can while trying to decide what is best for me.

DQ

I am sorry for your loss and your troubles.

If you and she have third party insurance, call them and ask about a claim. You may be able to recover the taxes for her berth. Also, if you decide not to go yourself most policies will cover you because your "travel companion cancelled for a covered reason."

You could then reschedule the cruise at a better time.

Your best advice will be the insurance company and your specific policy/coverage. Do call.

Maddle

Edited by Maddle