Water Taxi at Cruise Ship Pier

abisha

Just wondering where exactly is the water taxi at the cruise ship terminal? Is it a very far walk once you get off the ship? I'm trying to get a sense of where it is as my DH has mobility issues and really doesn't walk long distances. He's in the past managed to walk down the pier and through the kiosk stands and out to a regular taxi. So if he could do that, then I'm hoping the water taxi is in that area as well.

We want to rent chairs and umbrellas at great bay beach (by the boardwalk). How much of a walk is it to there from getting off the water taxi?

Also..what is the cost?

Thanks

The water taxi is a short distance beyond all the stores in the port area, then you have to walk the ramps and the docks to the ferry. There are two stops in the town. At the center of town there is a long dock with beaches and chair rentals on both sides of the dock. The second stop is at the end of the boardwalk at the marina area.

I think the roundtrip price is around $6.

I have often seen a shuttle at the port - there are always tons of people there and one infrequent shuttle. You might want to check on the ship about the shuttle.

The water taxi is a short distance beyond all the stores in the port area, then you have to walk the ramps and the docks to the ferry. There are two stops in the town. At the center of town there is a long dock with beaches and chair rentals on both sides of the dock. The second stop is at the end of the boardwalk at the marina area.

I think the roundtrip price is around $6.

I have often seen a shuttle at the port - there are always tons of people there and one infrequent shuttle. You might want to check on the ship about the shuttle.

Thanks for the info.

Just wondering where exactly is the water taxi at the cruise ship terminal? Is it a very far walk once you get off the ship? I'm trying to get a sense of where it is as my DH has mobility issues and really doesn't walk long distances. He's in the past managed to walk down the pier and through the kiosk stands and out to a regular taxi. So if he could do that, then I'm hoping the water taxi is in that area as well.

We want to rent chairs and umbrellas at great bay beach (by the boardwalk). How much of a walk is it to there from getting off the water taxi?

Also..what is the cost?

Thanks

Depends where you dock as well. We docked in the first birth, so we walked right off the ship and right onto the Ferry (basically). The ferry is at the end of the pier. It's a fairly easy walk. There are also plenty of deck hands to help on and off the ferry. It was fun.

The Water Taxi operates only inside Great Bay, between the Cruise Facility and two (sometimes three) stops across the bay to Philipsburg. Bobby's Marina and stops on Great Bay Beach.

Travel time is on the order of 6 minutes or so.

gary

There is a tram that goes up and down the pier you can catch when you get off the ship and will take you closer to where you catch the water taxi.

Great..thanks! I thought I've taken it before, but couldn't remember (sometimes the piers all tend to blend in..lol).

Could someone tell me if the water taxi would take us to Pinal Island? I also have mobility issues and long walks are difficult.

Thanks

Marcia

I just looked up pinal island since I never heard of it and there is a picture in trip advisor for a water taxi to it.

Also, any idea what it would cost for chair rental and umbrella? Would it vary by vendor (depending on how far along the beach one would walk....we wouldn't be walking very far down..would more than likely try to rent fairly close to the ferry pier as DH wouldn't be able to walk very far down the beach, and we'll plan on getting off ship early)?

There is a water taxi to Pinel Island (not Pinal Island), but it is on the other side of the island- you would have to get over past Orient Bay to Cul de Sac.

Pull up a google map of St. Martin and look up Pinel Island. You will note that it is not close to Phillipsburg, where you will dock.

Sounds like a beautiful beach day if you are willing to go across the island then take the water taxi from Cul de Sac.

Pinel Island is pretty undeveloped, and may not be recommended for people with mobility issues.

$5 one-ride, $7 all-you-can-ride.

Just to be clear here, this price is for the Water Taxi that operates between the Cruise Facility and downtown Philipsburg.

There is a boat from Cul de Sac to Pinel Island, usually referred to as the Pinel Ferry, that costs about $13 per person, round trip. Their first departure is supposed to be at 10:00, but that's Island Time, so -----

gary

Are the water taxi and ferry one in the same? We rode the ferry a couple of years ago. Where would the water taxi be, as I understand there are two stops? Went to the boardwalk last time, now would like to go into Phillipsburg. Thanks

Water Taxi and Ferry are not the same. The water taxi is at the end of the pier when you get off your ship. Big sign on your left, you can't miss it. Second stop will take you to Philipsburg.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums