Texas liquor law

dortrust

It's mainly the tax you will incur for purchases while in port...

Any alcohol or tobacco purchases whether it be at the duty free shop or at the bars on board the ship are subject to state tax while in port.

This also applies to purchases made abroad... you will pay Texas tax upon your arrival back at the port if you bought (and declare) and liquor or tobacco.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5671

In November, there were a limited number of alcoholic beverages available. Full bar service is not available till you clear Texas Territorial Water. As I recall, only 1 red and 1 white wine by the glass in the MDR. One poster from NCL reported locked minibars till the first morning.

do you have to pay taxes on bar "purchases" if you have the UBP?

Yes, I had the UBP and I was charged taxes on drinks while in Texas waters. Here is a link to where I posted the "limited" menu they use in all bars and restaurants in Texas waters:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45224896&postcount=54

You can see the selection is not that bad, and I believe we cleared Texas water space by about 8:00 pm, at which time the full drink menu came into force and there were no more taxes charged.

Yes, I had the UBP and I was charged taxes on drinks while in Texas waters. Here is a link to where I posted the "limited" menu they use in all bars and restaurants in Texas waters:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45224896&postcount=54

You can see the selection is not that bad, and I believe we cleared Texas water space by about 8:00 pm, at which time the full drink menu came into force and there were no more taxes charged.

Can you order drinks that ate non alcoholic and not pay the extra taxes with the ubp on that first day?

While some people may give you the impression that there will be tumbleweeds rolling across the bar, there will be enough choices of beer, wine, and the usual frozen drinks to satisfy the majority of people. As soon as we hit international waters (about two and a half hours after sailing) our steward came around and took the tape off our mini bar.

So looking at my receipts from sailing day, I can see they charge about 8.25 percent tax. For instance, 2 glasses of Prosecco at Magnum's totaled $18.00, and they charged me $1.49 tax. 1 glass of Meridian chardonnay, 1 Shiner Bock, and 1 mojito at Cagney's totaled $20.50, and they charged me $1.69 tax. Interestingly enough, it seems they did charge tax on my soda. That afternoon at Magnum's I got a Grey Goose on the rocks for $8.50 and DW had a Diet Pepsi for $2.10, and they charged me $.87 tax, which means the DP was taxed as well. (I am ignoring the automatic gratuity, which was charged as a separate line item. I had the UBP, and only the tax was charged to my onboard account.)

So looking at my receipts from sailing day, I can see they charge about 8.25 percent tax. For instance, 2 glasses of Prosecco at Magnum's totaled $18.00, and they charged me $1.49 tax. 1 glass of Meridian chardonnay, 1 Shiner Bock, and 1 mojito at Cagney's totaled $20.50, and they charged me $1.69 tax. Interestingly enough, it seems they did charge tax on my soda. That afternoon at Magnum's I got a Grey Goose on the rocks for $8.50 and DW had a Diet Pepsi for $2.10, and they charged me $.87 tax, which means the DP was taxed as well. (I am ignoring the automatic gratuity, which was charged as a separate line item. I had the UBP, and only the tax was charged to my onboard account.)

Ah ok, guess I will be drinking good old water, lol - around what time were you out of Texas waters? i've heard around 8?

Is it possible that the taxes you mention are sales tax rather than an alcohol tax? Sales tax in Texas usually is about 8.25% with some local options.

Edited by hawk1972

I'm sure this is probably listed somewhere, but so I don't have to do searching, does anyone know if the mini bar drinks are included in the UBP? Also, when they say the 15% gratuity, is this on each drink, or on the total package price? I'm also thinking it's not just Texas that is charging the taxes...I recall anytime we were in a port (when we've bought drinks, not with the package), that they tack on the port fees/taxes, which increases the cost of the drinks...does this ring a bell with anyone?

Edited by goodthatwontcomeout

I'm sure this is probably listed somewhere, but so I don't have to do searching, does anyone know if the mini bar drinks are included in the UBP? Also, when they say the 15% gratuity, is this on each drink, or on the total package price? I'm also thinking it's not just Texas that is charging the taxes...I recall anytime we were in a port (when we've bought drinks, not with the package), that they tack on the port fees/taxes, which increases the cost of the drinks...does this ring a bell with anyone?

Gratuities are included in the UBP. (even the "free" one)

Edited by tominabox1

Mini bar drinks are NOT included in your UBP. That is expressly stated in the terms and conditions of the UBP.

The gratuity is %15 of the package price and is paid up front.

The UBP has nothing to do with special taxes being charged or not. They are charged across the board to all purchasers in port regardless of UBP or not. Certain ports like the one in this topic do charge a tax upon any sales in port.