Magic Cruisers! Casual dressers enter please...

PresDuLac

In the past, my husband has worn a suit for formal night and I've dressed up. This time out, he's wearing a pair of dark pants and a coloured shirt. I'm wearing a sundress, maybe capris. Our 4 year-old granddaughter has packed her three favourite full-length gowns (two Elsa, one Anna), one with sequins. :)

Love the "Texas has its own dress..." intros, all of which aren't true.

27 miles from Galveston, 22 cruises from there, 4 from other cities in the past year and the dress is the same. Mostly casual.

Now, who cares if I've been on one ship or 90, what I see is khakis, pools, casual shoes on Cruise Elegant and shorts and Tommy Bahamas for men. Ladies dress in the same style/level.

The kids at the table next to us over New Years wore basketball shorts and tops to dinner all the casual nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For my DH it is either Khaki or Black Docker pants with a nice button up shirt and boots. I usually wear either a cocktail dress or a pair of dress capri's with a very nice blouse and cute black sandals. My girls usually wear their gaucho's with a nice shirt and black sandals.

There is no dressing fancy for this family. We look nice as we have taken our family pictures that night and they are hanging on our wall in our home. So nice enough for that but, not dressy by any means.

Reading through this thread is refreshing. We took a B2B last fall on Celebrity where the dress was much more formal, even on non formal nights. It will be nice to wear shorts to dinner and not have to pack very formal attire. It will be slacks and perhaps a Polo or a long sleeve button down shirt for me when we sail on the Magic in November.

Like NOLA, I heard that the Texas cruises and cruisers are more laid back so....

You're a casual dresser and don't dress up, that's just not you or your style.

Please tell me what you and/or your spouse/SO wore on 'Cruise Elegant' nights.

Or did you just skip the MDR and enjoy Lido?

If you just have to chime in because you do dress up....what kind of casual attire did you witness on CE nights?

I know what the 'official' recommendations are and what is officially not permitted as per carnival.com

I want to hear real experiences from people who have sailed on Magic.

And, yes, I've been on a few cruises but I'm asking for a first time cruiser and would love some ship specific - Magic only - responses.

TIA, y'all :)

I wear slacks and a nice shirt. DW wears a dress. Nothing fancy but within the dress code.

Reading through this thread is refreshing. We took a B2B last fall on Celebrity where the dress was much more formal, even on non formal nights. It will be nice to wear shorts to dinner and not have to pack very formal attire. It will be slacks and perhaps a Polo or a long sleeve button down shirt for me when we sail on the Magic in November.

There is a big difference for a reason.

By real shoes I meant closed toe and heal. No sandals. Also no tennis shoes formal night. You don't need to have dress shoes. Loafers are fine. They ask no beach shoes on casual night but along with basketball shorts, men's tank tops and ball caps not everyone follows the recommendations. You don't have to do fancy unless you want to, just appropriate. For men a pair of dockers and a collared shirt and you are good to go. Ladies any kind of dress or pants with a sparkly top.

Was on Magic in July 2013. That was after a decade long break from Cruising. I wore my Tux and the ladies wore elegant dresses. We did the late your time dining option. I was probably 1 of about 5 - 10 guys who wore a Tux on the first elegant night. Most guys wore Khakis and either dress shirts or polos. The first elegant night, saw a few more with suits and blazers. The second elegant night was all over the place. Ladies on the whole were a bit more dressy. The only ppl they stopped on the elegant night were those in Shorts. Not sure if they eventually were let in as I saw a few of them arguing for a while.

My next one is in a month and I am thinking of ditching my tux and just go with Slacks and dress shirt.

Ok... to the reply that mentioned her hubby wore tank top to the dining room.

For what it is worth, I have seen a few men refused entry into the dining room

with a tank top. They only ask you to have sleeves... They had to go to the room and change.

No one wants to eat looking at some mans hairy underarms ... Yuck !

Edited by russandcheryl
forgot some words

Ok... to the reply that mentioned her hubby wore tank top to the dining room.

For what it is worth, I have seen a few men refused entry into the dining room

with a tank top. They only ask you to have sleeves... They had to go to the room and change.

No one wants to eat looking at some mans hairy underarms ... Yuck !

That's a little hypocritical coming from someone who has a picture of them in her signature at a bar, most likely having just finished dinner, in a sleeveless dress. :confused:

Edited by Pixelate

Does not apply to women ... :)

Men's hairy underarms at dinner ... Really?

Ah, gender discrimination and double standards at their finest. What ever happened to fighting for equal opportunity? Prior to the 19th century, it wasn't socially acceptable for women to wear pants.

Ah, gender discrimination and double standards at their finest. What ever happened to fighting for equal opportunity? Prior to the 19th century, it wasn't socially acceptable for women to wear pants.

It is what it is. I would much rather see a woman in a sleeveless shirt than a man. I am a man BTW. Now if the woman failed to shave, I would agree with you. No sleeveless shirt for her.

One other thing, I don't know if you are aware of this. Your map in your signature is somewhat of a pain. At least in Chrome it prevents me from scrolling though the thread using the scroll wheel on the mouse. The cursor always locks on that map. I don't know if it is because it is Flash or what, but it is annoying. Not sure if others have the same problem.

I'm a Texas girl & a high school teacher who will be cruising on the Magic for the second time this coming summer (3rd cruise overall).

Here's what we do - casual nights:

DH & teenage boys - cargo-type shorts with Sperry topsiders & polo shirts.

Me - sundresses/ patterned skirts w/solid tops & flat sandals

Elegant nights:

DH & Teen boys - khaki pants, topsiders, long-sleeved button-downs w/ties

Me - cocktail dress w/strappy sandals (probably 2 inch heels). Something I'd wear to a summertime/nighttime dressy wedding reception.

I really could dress any of my sundresses "up" by adding strappy heels & jewelry - and be good to go on elegant night.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It is what it is. I would much rather see a woman in a sleeveless shirt than a man. I am a man BTW. Now if the woman failed to shave, I would agree with you. No sleeveless shirt for her.

One other thing, I don't know if you are aware of this. Your map in your signature is somewhat of a pain. At least in Chrome it prevents me from scrolling though the thread using the scroll wheel on the mouse. The cursor always locks on that map. I don't know if it is because it is Flash or what, but it is annoying. Not sure if others have the same problem.

What happens if you're cruising in Europe where some cultural differences can occur? Sleeveless would still be allowed without your certification. It is what it is until it is changed from a gender discrimination case from an equal opportunity activist.

Signatures can be disabled if you're concerned. I don't enjoy seeing lists of cruise histories as long as my 2160p monitor so I disable signatures when it becomes bothersome.

What happens if you're cruising in Europe where some cultural differences can occur? Sleeveless would still be allowed without your certification. It is what it is until it is changed from a gender discrimination case from an equal opportunity activist.

The thread is about the Magic though.

Signatures can be disabled if you're concerned. I don't enjoy seeing lists of cruise histories as long as my 2160p monitor so I disable signatures when it becomes bothersome.

Ahhh, thanks. Just disabled them. Much better. I agree on the lengthy lists also. I realized that I had some obnoxious banners showing past cruises that I just removed. Still need to add the Magic for November.

Edited by dioxide45

That's a little hypocritical coming from someone who has a picture of them in her signature at a bar, most likely having just finished dinner, in a sleeveless dress. :confused:

Except if you read the rules the same does not apply to women. Sexist rules, maybe, hypocritical, nope. Of course, if you want to fight the rules the way smugglers do you could always wear a sleeveless dress to dinner as well. :p

One corrective action would be to put the poster on ignore and voila, no more map to interfere with your mouse. :)

We have only cruised once. First and only time so far was this past September. My husband didn't even pack a pair of pants and the only dresses that I packed were sun dresses. We were nervous about going to the elegant dinner but we spoke to our servers the night before and they all said that nice shorts and sandals were just fine. My husband wore kahki shorts, a button up shirt and sandals, I wore a sun dress and we we did not feel out of place at all. There were several people dressed in formal dresses and suits and truly....I would have felt much more out of place dressed like that than what we wore.

We have our next cruise booked for our 33rd anniversary in April and I will be dressing exactly the same.

Edited by gamits