Walkie Talkies for your kids

reileyj

We are taking our 5 kids on a cruise (Carnival) in November - the first time we all sail together. Three of the kids are old enough to go explore the ship without our constant supervision (ages 10, 12 and 14). Should we/has anyone/ buy sets of walkie talkies (or whatever they are called these days) to keep tabs on their whereabouts? They will all be enrolled in the Camp Carnival but still, I worry when they are not in sight. Do cruise ships rent these communication devices? Thanks!

We are taking our 5 kids on a cruise (Carnival) in November - the first time we all sail together. Three of the kids are old enough to go explore the ship without our constant supervision (ages 10, 12 and 14). Should we/has anyone/ buy sets of walkie talkies (or whatever they are called these days) to keep tabs on their whereabouts? They will all be enrolled in the Camp Carnival but still, I worry when they are not in sight. Do cruise ships rent these communication devices? Thanks!
On the Glory a few weeks ago they had them for rent (I know this because a friend of my daughter had rented a set and they worked good). I don't know what the cost was though.

I think 10 and 12 are too young to be roaming the ship unsupervised (without a walkie talkie). I think I was pushing it with my 14-year old on our last cruise. But we communicated with notes and it worked out.

I am not trying to be mean or judgemental, there is just so many ways for young ones to get into trouble. Please don't bash me:(

It would be cheaper for you to buy them before you go-- Carnival does rent them = I dont remember but its like 25.00 each. (they eat through a lot of batteries each day-- buy rechargebale ones. 2 mile radius. Try to get ones with a vibrating (to let someone know that you are trying to reach them)

Mom & dad-- get another name besides mom and dad... you'd be surprised on how many kids will be screaming for mom tpo answer and all the moms answer..lol

-------------

Telephones in each cabin are now equipped with voice mail- make sure to set your vocie mail once you get into your cabin.

Walkie talkies are nice way to keep in touch with the kids BUT please teach your children that to use them--please leave the show rooms or lounges to hold the conversations. (most kids use them to talk to each other) we had a group of kids behind us one cruise who used the things the whole entire time the show was on. Get to a quieter area - if you find your self screaming into one to get your message across leave and go somewhere else.

We bought them several cruises ago. The re-chargable ones worked best for us. I also bought ear pieces today. The biggest problem we have had is the kids hearing me in noisy areas, especially when the walkie talkie is in their pocket!

I lean toward not letting mine walk around alone. There are mostly good people on the ship, but you ever know. There have been a lot of comments on these boards lately that parents "dump their kids once they get on the ship and don't care what they do". I don't agree-most parents do keep track of their kids and do care. Personally, the worst behavior I have seen is from adults staggering around very drunk.

We have also found that putting a pad of sticky notes and a pen either on the inside or the outside of the door works great for parents and kids. Just be warned, if you leave it on the outside of the door overnight, check the door for obnoxious messages in the morning. I guess that some of the people roaming around at 2 a.m. think that leaving smut messages on other people's doors is entertaining or something.

• 2 weeks later...

the last time we went on a Carnival ship (2002), we were lent pagers. Not to communicate with our child (who was busy in the kids area anyway) but just in case the counselors needed us to come by. We never got paged but I've seen some other threads in which posters mentioned the counselors paging them for various reasons.

Our child will be eight on our next cruise but she will either be in the Fun Zone or with us. We don't want her wandering around. Be aware that even for older kids, if they are on the loose, you can be held accountable for their actions.

Archived