Cell Phone on Cruise

RunningGirlNL

Between the different ports and sea days, different packages I would need for US soil/ports and the others, and now the new internet packages on the Breeze I am completely confused!

Okay - we're Canadians who are going on the Breeze in April, but leaving our two teenagers home with family members - so want to be able to have regular contact. (This is our first time leaving our sons - EVER - so we are a little bit anxious, lol). We can get a talk/text package that is good for the US and the US ports (San Juan and St. Thomas) but would need a second package for Antigua and Nassau. But what about the sea days?? I am guessing our packages would not cover those days, so we'd have per use fees??

Then you throw in the new internet packages, including the social one - which would allow us to imessage, FB message, or email - but we'd have to upgrade for Skype right?

I'm just trying to figure out what is the best thing for us to do, without completely going overboard (no pun intended!) on packages. Does anyone have any suggestions, or are there any Canadians who can chime in on their experience staying in contact with home while cruising?

Thanks!

For your USA and Puerto Rico ports..... Roam Mobility! For Canadians, By Canadians, Love Canadians...

I use Bell Mobility's talk and text plan for U.S. then while on the ship soon after leaving port I put my cell on airplane mode then power it off. I leave my phone in the safe. Everyday I just use the in room phone to make short phone calls home. I find that at $1.95 per minute I can check in on my hubby, find out anything new in about 3 minutes. This is less expensive than using cellular internet or my cell phone for calls. The first time I cruised I thought I'd be lost without my cellphone and internet but I discovered that when your having fun you don't have much down time so fitting in a live phone call provides the best most reassuring way to stay in touch. If I feel the need to make another call I don't worry about the small charge.