Monarch of the Seas info desired

I am thinking of a cruise on Monarch of the Seas but there is no handicap cabins available. I use a scooter. The cabins seem small at 119 sq ft. Does anyone know if a scooter would fit in the cabin (or fit through the door) if I had one bed removed. Also is the rest of the ship accesible? I know this ship was put into service in 1991. I have cruised a lot, but this will be the first time solo.

Ruth what is the width of your scooter. Sorry, to say but most scooters will not fit as cabin doors are generally around 24" (normal bathroom at home size). I use a scootie which is 17" without the arms. You may have to find a place to park you scooter and bring an extention cord.

This is classified as an old ship. 1996-07 on up is new and far more excessible. You will be facing opening doors (heavy) ect. I would phone Special Services and ask questions like is there steps up into the dining room?

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

Thanks, CaptData. I have a 23.5" wide scooter and a 25.5" (including tire valve stems!) wide scooter. The small one has inadequate ground clearance and has done one cruise on a new ship. It is really designed for a child...it looks like I was poured into it...It got hung up on top of ramp when boarding and exiting ship. It will not handle any rise or drop at curb cuts, speed bumps, etc greater than 1.5". That is why I bought the larger scooter which was much more friendly!

I have an email out to Special Needs, but so far have only the acknowledgment that it was received. I will call if I don't get answers from them by tomorrow.

I am aware of the stepup to the bathroom and plan to break the step in half with a 3" step that I plan to bring with me. I am concerned about door jambs or ramping within the ship. Would hate to be getting hung up trying to get out on deck. I can use crutches for dining room tables that are close to the entrance and within cabin.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Rascal Rider Ruth

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ruth. I've been on Monarch with mom in a motorized wheelchair. If you have some mobility, maybe your cabin steward can park your scooter somewhere close. Cabins on Monarch are very small, even if you could get your scooter through the door. Access to different places on the ship can be tricky. For instance, you may have to go up a deck and then back down to get to certain areas because the central atrium has only stairs on one deck. We had to do this to get to the diningroom from our forward wheelchair accessible cabin. There are only 4 accessible cabins on this ship. Unless you book very early, you don't get one. I was suprised though that the inside cabins in the bow are ok because the halls are wide. Many times we have to hit our cabin early because halls are impossible when people put out their luggage for last-night pick up. The buffet will be a little hard for access but patience will get you through ok. Seating there is fair and you should get a table. Going forward to the Jade area sometimes has less people. The showroom has the best wheelchair access I have ever seen on a ship. All ramp, no steps. Hope this helps. Nancy

Archived