walk to beach from cruise pier at St Maarten

cowboygene

We had a great day at the beach in town, and there were a good number of cruisers enjoying it, easy 15 minute or so walk. Music playing in the background and lots of shopping if you get tired of the sun. We love the beach in town for a relaxing day, and the beach was clean and nice.

Rented Two padded lounge chairs, umbrella, five drinks all for $20, and a sunny warm day! Priceless! :p

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We had a great day at the beach in town, and there were a good number of cruisers enjoying it, easy 15 minute or so walk. Music playing in the background and lots of shopping if you get tired of the sun. We love the beach in town for a relaxing day, and the beach was clean and nice.

Rented Two padded lounge chairs, umbrella, five drinks all for $20, and a sunny warm day! Priceless! :p

Pretty much ONLY cruisers use this beach ;)

For whatever reason, I've sensed that people are reluctant to talk about the details of the pollution issues here... maybe for good reason.

But in general terms, are we talking about water pollution? air pollution? trash on the beach?

For whatever reason, I've sensed that people are reluctant to talk about the details of the pollution issues here... maybe for good reason.

But in general terms, are we talking about water pollution? air pollution? trash on the beach?

Water pollution mostly in the form of overflow and brown sludgy water.:(

Here is some great info on Great Bay http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1133887

Plus if you Google search for articles regarding clean up, there are no real updates out there. When we were in St. Martin last year I on an excursion on the French Side, I was talking to our captain and he said locals still don't use that beach. There are many nicer beaches to choose from so I would still not use Great Bay.