Help! New to Norwegian!

CruisingGAL82

Hello! I am new to Norwegian but looking to book a cruise out of NY or NJ between March- June. Please help me find the best ship leaving from these ports! Looking newer and nice! Thanks!!!!

NCL Breakaway from NY :D

Edited by janetz

The only new ship on NCL from NY area is Breakaway....It is a beautiful ship and in fact I booked it again BUT it does not flow well for such a large ship, still we had a great time!!!

When you say doesn't flow well what do you mean? How does it differ From Royal Caribbeans big ships, if you know? Just hard to decide. I was going to do the Quantom of the Seas but the only sailing I could do was sold out and it was pretty pricey.

We love the Gem. It is set to go to dry dock this year, so it may not be "shiny & new", but it is a beautiful ship and it has a great vibe throughout!

The Breakaway is new and apparently great fun (with the water slides and such), but I have no experience. I have heard that the "flow" isn't as nice as the smaller ships. I understand this to mean the common areas don't flow well through the center of the ship. My friend who was on her thought the cruise was great but the ship could have been designed to better allow for gathering areas.

I recommend the 9 or 10 day over the 7 day sailings. You just get so much more enjoyment out of those extra two days...

We love the Gem. It is set to go to dry dock this year, so it may not be "shiny & new", but it is a beautiful ship and it has a great vibe throughout!

The Breakaway is new and apparently great fun (with the water slides and such), but I have no experience. I have heard that the "flow" isn't as nice as the smaller ships. I understand this to mean the common areas don't flow well through the center of the ship. My friend who was on her thought the cruise was great but the ship could have been designed to better allow for gathering areas.

I recommend the 9 or 10 day over the 7 day sailings. You just get so much more enjoyment out of those extra two days...

I don't think they have 9 or 10 days from march to June out of NYC

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When you say doesn't flow well what do you mean? How does it differ From Royal Caribbeans big ships, if you know? Just hard to decide. I was going to do the Quantom of the Seas but the only sailing I could do was sold out and it was pretty pricey.

I was just on Allure of the seas for New Year's with more passengers and it never felt like 6000+. It just flowed good. On the Allure there I think 5 pools and people are spread out.

Again, I love the Breakaway but I bought the VIBE pass for sea days as the main pool area is nuts, a tiny pool right by the kids section. It got to the point we figured out how to avoid even walking through that section it was sooo crowded. The Allure got crowded on sea days as well but there are 5 pool areas to choose from.

The Allure is a nicer ship IMO, but I also paid almost double of what I paid for Breakaway so I would expect a nicer ship.

Comparing Breakaway to Allure of the Seas

Entertainment - about the same - they also have Broadway type shows but I will give the edge to Allure with their water show

Food - About the same - they both also have a lot of specialty options

We had any time dining so that made it similiar to freestyle.

What I did not like about Allure was formal nights, I love NCL for that

Bars - more options on the Allure - but the Waterfront area on Breakway I LOVED

The main reason I picked Breakaway again is I have 3 cruises this yr and I wanted to avoid a flight and Breakaway allows me to drive to NY and was available the week I wanted to go.