Classic Crossing - so far, so great!

ltsally

We've not yet port and are so wonderfully pleased and impressed!!

All the bits of cavil I've read here over the past few months set off a bit of worry, but we just couldn't be happier with what we have seen so far. Embarkation handled so smoothly and quickly, with champagne and a nip of caviar. A lovely tea in the Panorama lounge (the only minus - no one informed us as to where we might find food)...and then a stroll to acquaint ourselves.

Can't wait for this journey to really begin! Pip, pip!

....which is pretty rough 'n' ready. It's an interesting crossing, with enough action (12 foot waves) to send quite a few passengers and some staff, back to their cabins. Lots of people did not make it to the dining room last nite, but there seems to be a bit of recovery today. Tomorrow however, we are heading for higher waves (12-14 feet) and a Force 6 wind.

Personally, I'm having a great time - it's what I wanted out of a true crossing, though I'll be quite happy if it doesn't get any worse. And it already looks like we'll be 4 hours behind schedule getting into St Johns Newfoundland.

All this pales however against the news out of the Seabourn world. The Pride was on an itinerary that almost parralleled ours, tho ahead of us by a day. We passed like ships in the morning in the Falmouth harbor. They were headed for Waterford - on Tuesday...and are still there. Marine inspectors found reams of violations and fire hazards apparently in the engine room and they have not been allowed to continue the voyage until all is rectified. A glance at the Seabourn board will give the complete skinny for anyone interested.

Time to toddle off....it's almost time for tea!

Thanks for posting Sally. This is a cruise that Diana and I are considering at some point. A classic crossing from London to NY or Boston. Take good care of our ship. We are sailing on her in November. BTW, who is the captain now? Is it still Captain Tatulli? Have a great cruise, we hope those seas calm down for you.

Don - Can't recommend the Crossing voyage highly enough! It was a lifelong dream for me and more than fulfilled all expectation.

Captain is now a gentleman named Arma (surname). Haven't yet unpacked, can give a fuller answer when I have some of the SS stuff in front of me.

Ship is in wonderful shape with lots of ongoing upkeep.

You've had a number of other voyages, I take it?

Archived