Jewelry Shopping in ports

Babcie3

Hello,

The ports we will visit are Half Moon Cay, Oranjestad, Willemstad, Panama, and Puerto Limon, Costa Rica. Are any of these ports know for good jewelry shopping? If so, what gemstones are worth purchasing from these ports, if any?

If there is no jewelry of value at these ports, can anyone tell me what kind of shopping these ports are known for, other than the usual souvenirs?

Thanks.:)

Trust me I have experience. Ruth uses her wheelchair as a shopping cart when we return to the ship.

St Thomas is the best place for Jewlery. We have a jewler we have delt with for 10+ years and if you want his name drop us an email.

Curasel has a couple nice linen shops but no great deals. Swimming with Dolphins at the Dolphin Academy is fantastic there.

Costa Rica COFFEE and Jade, also some beautiful leather scabbards and knives. If want pictures of send me an email and will take one and send it to you.

HMC is a junk shop......

Biggest thing to remember is that watch who you purchase expensive jewlery through....

Jim & Ruth

There is tons of jewelry shopping in Aruba. Some of the same stores you find in St. Thomas, are also located in Aruba.

Be very careful buying gemstones. The synthetics today are so very good only a very trained gemologist can be sure if the gems are from the lab or from the earth....and then usually only after special testing.

With that in mind....if you love it, buy it. Put it on a Charge Card....prefereably AmEx if you have that one. Take the item home and have it appraised. If it does not turn out to be what you expect, your credit card company may help you make a return for a credit.

(Bear in mind, they may require you have an Independent Appraiser rate the item and they can be hard to find. Most Appraisers work for jewelry stores.)

Having said all that, I must admit my DH has bought me more than my fair share of lovely jewelry while traveling in the Caribbean.

I have to ask "just how much jewelry can one lady wear? I have emerald, diamond, pearl (black and natural), opal, saphire, amber, jade, gold and silver earrings and necklaces. All lovely pieces but they now seldom see the light of day. With no one to Will them too, I've decided no more! The cost of insuring such items is becoming prohibitive - what we save on NOT buying jewelery goes a long way towards paying for another cruise!

Just my thoughts...............

On our last cruise, DW found a very nice pair of Tanzanite and Diamond earrings in the jewelry store right on the ship. She searched endlessly in St Thomas for something she might like better for a better price, but found nothing. We got off the ship in Nassua only to look for something better and found nothing.

She looked at them everyday and finally bought them on the last day. They were very unique and I had urged her to buy them, right when she seen them. I was afraid someone else would buy them and I would never hear the end of it.

Anyway, HAL offers a no questions, full refund guarantee on any jewelry purchased on the ship. Even if you have buyers remorse or just decide you dont really like it after wearing it 100 times. We had the earrings appraised and they were valued at about 1.5 times the purchase price.

She is quite happy with the purchase.

Tim

Hi Babcie,

If you are looking for jewelry, the ports you are visiting are not "known" for jewelry.

Curacao - Lots of linens stores.

Puerta Limon - coffee. At the end of the dock there are lots of vendors in a building. There are some very nice wooden boxes and figures with excellent prices and some who sell coffee.

Panama - Nothing that I am aware of. We got off the ship at Colon and there was a shopping complex with the usual souvenirs and junk.

Aruba - I haven't shopped there but there are plenty of people on this board that have. For some reason I don't think the prices on Aruba are any bargains, but someone else could verify this.

We are going to St. Thomas next week and I am told they are the best for jewelry and I am very much a jewelry person. Hey between perfume and jewelry I have no problem with either of them fitting me :D As far as my husband if he does notice a new piece I tell him don't you remember when you bought me it? My mother bought Emeralds and Rubies in St. Thomas and after she died I received them and I took them to a friend here in Los Angeles and found out my mother was taken for a ride. Now what do I do?? I really want to buy something from St. Thomas as we just celebrated our 40th anniversary and I know my husband wants me to get myself a little something :D

Kathy

I got stuck once with a bad purchase from Diamonds International- never again. Neither DI nor HAL would help me when I discovered the jewelry had a defect in setting and half the gems fell out. :mad:

Live and learn. Either buy your jewelry at home or carefully on the ship itself. I'm not convinced that there are any really good deals out there anyway anymore and if so, they are few and far between.

I don't honestly think there are anymore bargains on jewelry in the Caribbean these days. Not like years ago.

It is more a matter of people being on vacation, they're happy and relaxed and that leads to impulse purchases of luxury items. Nothing wrong with it but that is why there are so many of these jewelry stores. Sure we save a sales tax and maybe a few dollars but very few tremendous bargains.

If you can afford it, if you love it, buy it. Hopefully you are shopping in a reputable store and all will be well.

After spending my entire working life in the jewelry business, I can't resist to comment here. Pretty much everything that's been said here rings true -- if you see something you like at a price you want to pay, buy it, then go to a cafe and love it and admire it with your SO. It will be a treasured memory, and is what I always advised my customers when they were going somewhere noted for jewelry.

I personally would not bother to have anything appraised upon returning home. It's expensive and will, 99.9% of the time, appraise for more than you bought it. Your homeowners usually has a provision for unscheduled jewelry.

It's probably better to buy expensive stuff from a reputable firm where you live, and an AGS store, while never bargain-priced, is always a rock-solid choice.

Lane

Hi Babcie,

Aruba - I haven't shopped there but there are plenty of people on this board that have. For some reason I don't think the prices on Aruba are any bargains, but someone else could verify this.

I have been to Aruba for a fair amount of time including land trip stays at Resorts.

I have shopped in Aruba for jewelry so I can offer a 'been there and done it' opinion not simply what I have heard.

Some of the same people, (like Trident Jewelers for example) and others on Main Street in St. Thomas are in Aruba. They are family owned stores and they have various locations. The same prices you pay in St.Thomas are about the same you will pay in the Aruba location . In addition, there are the usual Diamonds International and Columbia Emeralds and those cookie cutter places. Again, I don't think there are big jewelry bargains anywhere in the Caribbean and there are few locations we have not been to in the Caribbean (and where we didn't at least browse a few jewelry stores. ) :)

The big difference is that you have a much larger duty free customs allotment (for U.S. citizens) for things you buy in the U.S.V.I. vs. other islands.

Depending upon what you are buying, you could exceed your allotment when buying in Aruba but be well within allowed limits if buying in the Virgin Islands.

After spending my entire working life in the jewelry business, I can't resist to comment here. Pretty much everything that's been said here rings true -- if you see something you like at a price you want to pay, buy it, then go to a cafe and love it and admire it with your SO. It will be a treasured memory, and is what I always advised my customers when they were going somewhere noted for jewelry.

I personally would not bother to have anything appraised upon returning home. It's expensive and will, 99.9% of the time, appraise for more than you bought it. Your homeowners usually has a provision for unscheduled jewelry.

It's probably better to buy expensive stuff from a reputable firm where you live, and an AGS store, while never bargain-priced, is always a rock-solid choice.

Lane

What you say is probably true. Shopping for Jewelry in the Caribbean seems pretty hit or miss these days. I think there are some deals out there, if you know what you are looking at. We have found some unique items we havent seen stateside. But then again, we dont exactly live in the Jewelry capitol of the states either.

Watches, on the other hand, can still be significantly cheaper in the Caribbean. I have purchased several Swiss watches in St. Thomas over the years and have saved thousands of dollars over stateside prices. US warranties are also included when purchased in USVI.

All that said, I think there are a lot of bad deals to be had in the Caribbean. As with anything else, buyer beware.

Tim

We visited Curacao many years ago and I thought the ship gave us a list of "reputable" jewelers that were in port. I believe I bought a little something there but did not spend a lot of money because I don't wear a lot of expensive jewelry. The faux jewels (mostly crystals) nowadays is quite sparkly & fun and I don't have to worry that I'm getting (or not) a good piece of merchandise. If I think I might be getting ripped off it will bother me for days, so I just don't do it. I think, as was said above, buying on the ship is a good bet. Bon Voyage!

.....All lovely pieces but they now seldom see the light of day. With no one to Will them too, I've decided no more! The cost of insuring such items is becoming prohibitive - what we save on NOT buying jewelery goes a long way towards paying for another cruise!

Cruiseoften....I've been thinking pretty much the same thing for a while now. I've loved jewelry all my life and have a lot of gold and gemstones and, like you, have no one to leave them to. I now find myself looking into my jewelry box and remembering how much I paid for some of that jewelry and wishing I had the cash in hand for the cruises I'd like to take, too. Funny how life changes your thinking sometimes.

However, old habits die hard, and I never pass a jewelry store without scrutinizing the window. In the Caribbean I bop in and out of the stores looking at the gems....but that's about it. Except for an inexpensive pair of earrings or a casual watch, I don't buy much these days.

We visited Curacao many years ago and I thought the ship gave us a list of "reputable" jewelers that were in port. I believe I bought a little something there but did not spend a lot of money because I don't wear a lot of expensive jewelry. The faux jewels (mostly crystals) nowadays is quite sparkly & fun and I don't have to worry that I'm getting (or not) a good piece of merchandise. If I think I might be getting ripped off it will bother me for days, so I just don't do it. I think, as was said above, buying on the ship is a good bet. Bon Voyage!

The "reputable" jewelers is a joke. Peaches mentioned having problems with Diamonds International which is always recommended by the cruise lines. I have read more complaints about this store than any other on the islands. The stores "pay" the cruise lines to recommend them.

We visited the Caribbean for the first time last year. I was really excited and looking forward to seeing the jewellery as I'd heard and read so much about it.

I was very disappointed. Every shop we visited, no sooner had I stepped over the doorstep than I was pounced on by an assistant who just followed me around pestering me to buy something. One man even forced a ring onto my finger to persuade me how great it looked (I hated it actually!). :eek:

I didn't want that kind of shopping experience. I wanted to be able to browse at my leisure, see things with prices on so that I had an idea how much I might be spending, and then maybe do a little bargaining. After a few of these experiences I decided I didn't want to buy any jewellery after all, and came home without anything. :(

Next time I'm on a cruise (which is very soon!) I shall stick with buying on board the ship. :)

Cruiseoften....I've been thinking pretty much the same thing for a while now. I've loved jewelry all my life and have a lot of gold and gemstones and, like you, have no one to leave them to. I now find myself looking into my jewelry box and remembering how much I paid for some of that jewelry and wishing I had the cash in hand for the cruises I'd like to take, too. Funny how life changes your thinking sometimes.

However, old habits die hard, and I never pass a jewelry store without scrutinizing the window. In the Caribbean I bop in and out of the stores looking at the gems....but that's about it. Except for an inexpensive pair of earrings or a casual watch, I don't buy much these days.

Tricia I finally got up the nerve and took some pieces in for appraisal with a view to selling - I found really good gem stones are best disposed of with a professional gem auctioneer - jewelery stores will accept pieces to sell as heritage jewellery but claw back up to a 35% commission.

Old habits do indeed die hard and I confess to window shopping. Now watches are something else - I love watches - found a mock Movado several years ago - paid $10.00 for it - it's still going strong - the 'diamonds' sparkle is now somewhat dimmed! :( still keeps good time tho!

Necklaces are IN these days and there are some interesting styles in 14 and 18 kt gold..........maybe :rolleyes:

Gizmo....that's what I thought too. The other thing that may happen depending on the length of your cruise, representatives will come on board the ship for a few days and try to convince you with "free tours" which, invariably, end up at their store. Talk about "pouncing" or "strong-arming". They spend so much time with you that you feel compelled to go to their store. I saw quite a few people take the bait when we were headed to Rio. I just managed to maneuver around them and avoid getting "caught".

Happy sails and GOOD shopping experiences. :)

I got stuck once with a bad purchase from Diamonds International- never again. Neither DI nor HAL would help me when I discovered the jewelry had a defect in setting and half the gems fell out. :mad:

Live and learn. Either buy your jewelry at home or carefully on the ship itself. I'm not convinced that there are any really good deals out there anyway anymore and if so, they are few and far between.

You weren't alone... that is where I purchased my diamond and tanzanite bracelet too. From the shop in St. Thomas... went to get it cleaned here at home and my local jeweler (whom we've dealt with for years) said it looked questionable, had it appraised and turned out the tanzanite was not real.

I am completely convinced there are no longer any deals out there.

Watch out for the Caribbean Sapphire deals - especially at DI - this is the latest "hot" seller. I bought one onboard that turned out to be worth about exactly what I paid for it, but many of the shops on the islands had the prices so inflated, they were ridiculous.

Don't buy now -- years ago I bought a few pieces in St. Thomas, but had the name of a reputable store. If I am in a place that has David Yurman (always check to see if there is a place to buy) if so, I try to get a piece -- David Yurman -- the prices are all the same, but if you don't have to pay the tax - you do save.:)

:) :)

Don't buy now -- years ago I bought a few pieces in St. Thomas, but had the name of a reputable store. If I am in a place that has David Yurman (always check to see if there is a place to buy) if so, I try to get a piece -- David Yurman -- the prices are all the same, but if you don't have to pay the tax - you do save.:)

:) :)

David Yurman . . . and Barry Kieselstein-Cord, Henry Dunay, and a few other Neiman-Marcus-type lines . . .

Used to know a fellow in Detroit who would buy a piece, take molds off it, and then return it. It's called "knocking off", is totally illegal, common in the USA, and utterly ubiquitous in areas not under the aegis of the JVC -- Jewelers' Vigilance Committee.

I cannot stress ENOUGH to my friends, clients, and fellow CCers not to buy expensive jewelry in cruise-ports. Please . . . buy something cute that you like and will evoke memories of your cruise!

Lane

Archived