Luggage question

SailorKate

I am going to purchase some new luggage for our cruise/land tour to Alaska next July. Yes, I know I am in a hurry. But, I can't wait!!

You seasoned cruisers and travelers have been such a help. I wonder if you can tell me HAL's restrictions, if any, on luggage and what size/compliement of luggage you find works for you?

Thanks for all your commentaries.

HAL doesn't limit on-board luggage but I believe the land/cruise-tour portion does have limits due to the use of busses and trains.

Our packing depends on the itinerary and length of cruise. We pack much more formal wear for European and holiday cruises. On our 11 day New Years' cruise on Zaandam, we took 3 suiters (24, 26, and 30) and a rolling garment bag plus 2 carry-ons.

I won't even mention what we took on the 35 day transatlantic.

We plan to take 3 pieces to Alaska next summer, and very little formal wear. We may not even take DH's tux. Our trip is cruise only, and we have a suite so we won't worry about laundry. And that is an issue to consider. On vista ships there is no self service laundry; if you're on an "S" or an "R" class there are coin laundries on each deck.

GN

The restriction on luggage is a function of the airlines, which usually allow two checked bags, a carry-on and a personal item (such as purse, laptop computer, etc.)

As far as what to pack, go to:

http://www.geocities.com/Calgon1/Ultimate_Packing_List.html

Calgon's ultimate packing list goes a bit overboard (sailing joke), but helps you think of things you may have otherwise forgotten. The lists are so specialized that he has a "warm climate" list and a "cold climate" list.

Regarding laundry, the Ryndam does have self service laundry (I gave DW the week off -- I did it!).

Something that is important and often overlooked when buying luggage is the weight of the bag before it is packed. My husband and I bought 30" pullman bags because we thought they would hold everything we need on a cruise. The trouble with them is that they weigh more than 20 lbs. empty. By the time you put a few things in, you are at the 50 lbs. limit. We were checking our bags at the airport last year and the skycap weighed them. There we were on the concrete drive trying to move clothes around between bags. It was very unpleasant. Now we always weigh our bags.

And don`t forget the restrictions on measurements. A 30" will no longer meet the 62" maximum. They measure length + width + height.

I bought a nifty little gadget at AAA, its a balance scale for weighing luggage. You just hook your luggage handle on it and it weighs it. It was only $5.95 for members...........jean :cool:

It's a good idea to weigh your bags before you leave for the airport. I have found that we can put heavier items in our carry- ons to take some of the weight off our 30" bags. That way, the 30" bags will hold all of our needs for any cruise. On one 36 day cruise we added a fold over rolling garment bag but that was still 3 bags for 2 people and our 2 carry-ons. My DH's shoes have to go in the carry on and, of course, all our toiletries, etc. The rolling large bags are wonderful but, as you said, they are heavy to begin with so it does take a little "fiddling" to mix things up and even out the weight. I usually do a "dry run" a few days before we leave and know if my DH is taking too many clothes. :D

Wow! Thanks for all your help. Grannynurse, you sure don't travel light:-) Dogsdogs, I have been looking at the new "Lite weight " luggage. My Samsonite wheels like a dream but weighs a ton! And Landlubber, thanks for the info on the laundry and the Calgon lists!! I have reading material for a week!

I did get clever after reading your posts and went to the tour brochure. The teacher in me reminded myself that "when in doubt...read the instructions!" DUH! )

It says: If your travel with HAL includes a land component, you are limited to two pieces of checked luggage and one overnight or light flight bag which must remain in your custody at all times. Hmmmm....I'll have to think on the light flight bag stuff. It doesn't sound like it means a roll along flight bag like we usually use?

Decisions...decisions...

Thanks for your help!

Fortunately we live in Florida and drive to the ports because my better half has never learned to pack efficiently.

Generally we take:

2 Large For Slippers

2 Med For Jim

6-8 Assorted for Ruth

We generally take the ones that can be put inside each other so they can fit under the beds.

Don't laugh we fill the back of the pickup truck or have to put them on the roof of the SUV when we travel.

Have tried cutting down but I gave that up 10 years ago. All I do now is say "YES DEAR" and find a way to get them into the vehicle.

Have a nice trip.

Jim & Ruth

Fortunately we live in Florida and drive to the ports because my better half has never learned to pack efficiently.

Generally we take:

2 Large For Slippers

2 Med For Jim

6-8 Assorted for Ruth

We generally take the ones that can be put inside each other so they can fit under the beds.

Don't laugh we fill the back of the pickup truck or have to put them on the roof of the SUV when we travel.

Have tried cutting down but I gave that up 10 years ago. All I do now is say "YES DEAR" and find a way to get them into the vehicle.

Have a nice trip.

Jim & Ruth

Archived