Jeep vs convertible

Miramar

I'm trying to decide what kind of car to rent on Kauai. There have been a couple threads where people have experience renting both a jeep wrangler and a convertible and much preferred the convertible due to handling. Can someone clarify for me what they mean when they say the jeep was hard to handle? Do you mean spinning out on wet roads? Or loose/unresponsive, truck-like steering? Come to think of it-- how are jeeps on wet roads? Are they all over the road?

I realize it rains a lot on Kauai, so a jeep with the top off may be troublesome from that aspect as well, but I'm mostly looking for opinions on handling. Thanks

Jeeps can be very "bouncy" and that makes them less responsive to quick moves. My uncle rolled one years ago when he forgot that.

I had no trouble handling a Jeep on Kauai last week and I liked being up higher than the convertables. Most of the driving differences would show up at higher speeds and traffic doesn't move that fast on that island. We all had fun and my daughters loved the bigger back seat.

But be warned, getting the top on and off was a chore. I would not want to have been trying to get it back on while it was raining.

One more thing, there is NO secure trunk in the Jeep. We took everything with us whenever we parked.

Archived