Teen club hrs; eating 1 dinner without my teens?

ShyMiss

We are taking our teens 13 & 15 on their first cruise (& our 1st on Carnival.)

Love to spend time with them, but would hubby & I be able to eat one romantic dinner without them? (after we feed them elsewhere of course.)

The 6 day fun times I've seen show teen welcome parties at 10:00 & 10:30 on embark day. Is this the soonest teens can attend their clubs on the 1st night specifically?

(how about other nights?)

Thanks so much in advance for your replies!

PS we'll be on 6-day Breeze in March if it matters. (Cozumel, Jamaica, & Grand Cayman.)

Edited by ShyMiss

There are plenty of places for them to eat on their own. The teen club will have different activities for them at various times. They can go hang out in club 02 and play video games, etc. they will also be able to come and go as they please. You will be surprised at how many things there will be for them to do. As far as a romantic dinner for 2, I suggust paying the extra $35.00 pp for the Steakhose. You won't regret it.

The first night the teen O2 parties do start later, but it is so important that they go that first night. The kids make friends that night and will hang out with them for the rest of the cruise. (at least that is what happens with my kids). You will probably be hunting them down and telling them to check in with you from time to time after that :) Mine end up eating on the Lido somewhere with their friends unless I specifically request that they dine with us. They would rather hang out with their friends and grab a quick bite to eat so they can play on the sports court or have movie night with their new friends. Have fun!

Love to spend time with them, but would hubby & I be able to eat one romantic dinner without them? (after we feed them elsewhere of course.)

The 6 day fun times I've seen show teen welcome parties at 10:00 & 10:30 on embark day. Is this the soonest teens can attend their clubs on the 1st night specifically?

PS we'll be on 6-day Breeze in March if it matters. (Cozumel, Jamaica, & Grand Cayman.)

If this is their ages at the cruise, they will be in different teen groups - 12-14 (Circle C) and 15-17 (Club O2) and they will have different activities. And no, per cruise policy they don't move age groups, and this is a VERY hot topic on the family boards as some have made special requests, and at times been successful. It is reported that there is better luck with moving down than up. But honestly, please don't sweat over this - the kids really do make their own groups that first night and I know they cross group age divisions because of friends or siblings. My advice - let yous kids do their thing and it will all shake out.

At 13-15, on a ship with tons of prepared food, with ice cream and pizza 24 not to mention a full lido deck of food and treats, they will have no problem feeding themselves.

And yes, the first night meet and greets are late...as is the majority of most teen club actives, which even on sea days do not start til after lunch. Most teens on vacation sleep their mornings away after stay out until 1-2 am with friends. It's not like being at home - there is plenty to do at 1 am on a cruise ship that doesn't have you up to no good.

So if your expectations are different, I would talk about them as a family before the cruise. My kids have an inside across the hall, so mom and dad sleep right through 2 am return of my 16 yo. Most nights, unless I have given permission for a late night party, I am tucking my 10 yo at 10 pm (he's an early bird anyway).

My kids are required to have dinner with us most nights (as they are usually with friends/in camp all day long - by their own choice) and generally head back to such activities after dinner. Its the way we ensure we get some time on board with them, other than excursions! But yes, we often take 1 or 2 nights during the cruise and dine alone.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the replies so far!

:D I think we may be a bit overprotective (son will turn 13 right before cruise & daughter is 15) but I'd rather know where they will be & what they will be doing for the 2+ hours we are out to dinner lol. Since we won't be texting, It didn't occur to me to just say, "We'll meet you at ____in 3 hrs." Is this what those of you who have cruised with young teens have done in the past? (not criticizing at all; sincerely asking :))I guess as we get to know the ship & activities, I might feel more comfortable with this. We were thinking about going out to eat alone on the 1st night. Maybe there will be an activity scheduled around 6 or 7? (sounds like not in the teen club though.)

What time do they play dive in movies?

Maybe our kids could just watch an on demand movie in the cabin with some popcorn while they upack.

Thoughts from those who cruise with teens?

Edited by ShyMiss

We tell ours when and where to meet us. He has to also let us know where he's going to be at. Its easy to check up on them. It's a relatively safe environment and if your kids are well behaved, they will be fine doing things on their own. They will meet new friends and want to hang out with them anyway. Also, if you are truly that concerned about their whereabouts, invest in a set of walkie talkies. We used them on our first cruise with the kids and they worked well to keep tabs on them.

Edited by Rena921

We cruised with our then 13 and 16 yo sons a few years ago.

We felt relatively safe giving them run of the ship, so long as they were together, but we ate dinner together as a family every night. This was our time to catch up and keep tabs, etc.

If you do decide to go out as a couple on the first night, I'd say that is the best night to do it. Tell them they have to stick together. Then, after dinner, they'll meet other teens at the teen clubs, and fall into groups of friends. The next day, find your assigned dining, and get into 'cruise routine'.

I don't know your kids, but I would feel okay with my kids heading to the buffet, or to the pizza, or whatever that first night alone, then meeting back in the cabin before they head off to the teen clubs and you head off to the piano bar or comedy club.

Enjoy!

:D I think we may be a bit overprotective (son will turn 13 right before cruise & daughter is 15) but I'd rather know where they will be & what they will be doing for the 2+ hours we are out to dinner lol. Since we won't be texting, It didn't occur to me to just say, "We'll meet you at ____in 3 hrs." Is this what those of you who have cruised with young teens have done in the past? (not criticizing at all; sincerely asking :))I guess as we get to know the ship & activities, I might feel more comfortable with this. We were thinking about going out to eat alone on the 1st night. Maybe there will be an activity scheduled around 6 or 7? (sounds like not in the teen club though.)

Maybe our kids could just watch an on demand movie in the cabin with some popcorn while they upack.

I wouldn't plan my date for the first night...probably middle or toward the end. And know, you are not over protective - you are just taking your kids into a new environment. After you board and eat, start walking the ship front to back. Learn it's ins and outs. You will see on each elevator that they are full ships maps. Assuming your kids are moderately responsible, short of jumping over board :eek: they will be fine.

My 10 yo has been cruising since 2; at 9, when he was eligible to sign himself in and out of camp, I let him. We made a practice run from the cabin to camp to make sure he could get there and back. We did it also from the dining room. If we were somewhere else, we would stay put, he would make a run, and if he couldn't find it, he would return and we would figure out the mistake and try it again. And remember, he was 9.

Each day, he wakes and has breakfast with us....he's like Betty White on the snickers commercial if he doesn't eat. His now 16 yo brother gets to sleep in. If it is a sea day, he gets to head to camp. And he is told camp, room or with us.(usually our balcony, but we will also tell him if we plan on going someplace else)...again, my teen has more latitude...a 10 year old doesn't need to be hanging out.:p If he wants to sign himself out, he either comes to where we are or goes to his room. Lunch is at noon and we meet at the room. Then same routine, except this time, he has to be back at 5 for 6 pm dinner so that he can shower. And again same routine after dinner. Back in the room at 10 - and I am usually listening for the door slam to know he is in. Then he watches tv etc until he falls asleep.

The white board or sticky notes are a great way to communicate. If we are not in the room like we had planned he knows to look for a note and that we will be, say playing bingo.

You will be amazed when you walk the ship how many times you will pass your kids - especially if you loop pizza and ice cream. I'm assuming they know the basic manners, ie no yelling, running, don't do anything you wouldn't want mom to see, etc. or else they wouldn't be cruising.

So, that is a long way of saying set some time limits you are comfortable with as to where they can go and when they need to check in. Make sure everyone has a reliable water proof watch - though there are clocks on the ship. And hold their feet to the fire. My oldest was not ready for dinner one night; he spent the evening in his cabin. Never happened again.

We just got off the Pride yesterday and was very disappointed with Club O2. My 17yo and his 17yo GF were with us. They went up to the meet and greet the first night and they were the only 2 there, not even Carnival employees. Luckily our other kids and their boyfriends (all over 22 however) were with us, so they had fun hanging out with all of us. We also did have A LOT of seniors on our cruise though, only about 31 other kids in their age group were on the ship.

You do know that Carnival has the new Hub App? You can text to you hearts content on the ship, if the kids have phones.:D:D And I believe it's FREE!!!!!

You do know that Carnival has the new Hub App? You can text to you hearts content on the ship, if the kids have phones.:D:D And I believe it's FREE!!!!!

It's only currently on the Breeze. It's basically in Beta testing mode right now. No telling when it will be rolled out fleet wide.

I would definitely plan on a romantic night, but not on the first night! Wait until they meet some people and get comfortable on the ship. Even if they are not "social butterflies" you can have them get dinner in the Lido and head to the cabin to watch a movie or something. My kiddo WAS a social butterfly, and I was lucky to see him...except when I ran into him around the ship.

Of course, you will be surprised how easy it is to find a tween/teen...look by the ice cream or pizza, or arcade...also just "hanging out" on the Promenade! Now, I tell him that we are having dinner together, and he can plan to be with his friends before and after, but I want to have dinner with him and catch up on his day!!

It's only currently on the Breeze. It's basically in Beta testing mode right now. No telling when it will be rolled out fleet wide.

We brought 2 way radios and never had a problem with them not working on the Legend.

I think knowing your kids is the most important part of the equation. And no need to tell us but honestly measure them. For example my 16 year old, and 9 year old, I wouldn't have any problem letting them have time without us and wouldn't worry a bit. My 12 year old is ADHD and is sensitive and caring to other people but has no filter when it comes to risk taking or impulsivity. So unless I specifically tell him something is off limits he doesn't think about natural consequences. It is impossible to go over every single possibility in a new environment so it is easier to keep him with us or make sure he has totally defined limits, such as you can go straight to the arcade, and come straight back. Or you can play basketball with your friends but can not go anywhere else.

Seems extreme but he is the type of person that unless I tell him not to climb from one balcony to another, he might try it. Or not to dive into the water off a 50 foot cliff, he would. He is athletic, a thrill seeker, and has almost no fear. Yet at the same time he is the most polite and would be the first to drop everything to help an elderly neighbor or cheer up a crying baby. I would never worry about him riding the elevators or being rude to anyone, but if he could he would climb the fin tail just because it is there. So of course in any new situations we keep him close. Your 12 year old or younger is likely completely different. I would say the same about teens. There is a huge difference in maturity levels and interests even among kids that are the same age. Know your kids and don't worry what others think is okay or not.

I also recommend a small white board for your door so they can check in and you all can keep track of everyone's whereabouts. Post its for in the room work too, but the white board is convenient.

it works great unless someone takes it like they did ours.:(

I found it while sailing the Victory olast week. I needed to buy an internet package on order to get it to work properly.

It did show the fun times from a few days BEFORE I found it.

Seeing as you are going to be on the Breeze they are still Beta testing their chat application. If you have Iphones or androids you can connect to the wifi for free and you can chat with your kids and find out where they are. I found this so helpful with my 16 year old on our last cruise.

There will be a sign up in the ovation theatre on the first day, which you must go to to get them signed up and get the s tickers for their cards. Then the meet & greet is later on. Since our son was 13 we have let him come and go and never had any problem with it. We gave him a curfew and he always kept it. Many kids were out until 03:00!!!

The movies usually start at 8:00. Don't worry they will be just fine.

We just got off the Pride yesterday and was very disappointed with Club O2. My 17yo and his 17yo GF were with us. They went up to the meet and greet the first night and they were the only 2 there, not even Carnival employees. Luckily our other kids and their boyfriends (all over 22 however) were with us, so they had fun hanging out with all of us. We also did have A LOT of seniors on our cruise though, only about 31 other kids in their age group were on the ship.

I can't pull my teenager out of highschool to cruise at this time of year. I am sure not other do either. At New Years there were lots of kids on the cruise.

Just not a good time of year for kids to be on the ship.

There is no reason they can't hang in the cabin for 2 hours, either. There is a tv with in room movies, they can play electronics (our boys play Minecraft, etc, on ipads) and they can order room service if they want- or get a free pizza beforehand and bring it back to the room (give them a couple dollars for tips, if they want to order the free room service meals, or cookies/dessert). Since it is their first cruise you can always choose this option if you don't want to worry about them in the club or wandering. Our boys (age 9) spent a couple hours every day in the cabin while we were at the spa last cruise. We did not have a balcony, though. I am not thrilled with balconies and kids on cruise ships...have been booking OV lately. Yours are old enough a balcony should not be an issue, but mine like to look over the rail on tiptoes...I am always reminding them not to step on rails. The first and second days/nights are important for your kids to get involved because the smaller groups form early on, not so important with younger kids.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I found it while sailing the Victory olast week. I needed to buy an internet package on order to get it to work properly.

It did show the fun times from a few days BEFORE I found it.

That's good that they have started rolling it out to other ships.My app still only shows the Breeze.

I can't pull my teenager out of highschool to cruise at this time of year. I am sure not other do either. At New Years there were lots of kids on the cruise.

Just not a good time of year for kids to be on the ship.

This is the first time we have ever done it but it happened to be the week right after mid terms and we got all the work he would be missing prior to leaving so it wasnt too bad. I just figured since there were about 31 other kids in that age group on the ship that something would have been going on for them