UK visa for China

free from work

Hi, Does anyone from the UK know if the 72 hour visa waiver facility applies if the port of entry and the airport of departure is Shanghai?

Having read the .Gov.Uk website it seems that it only applies if you fly in and out of China but I thought I would check if anybody has any information one way or another!

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Hi, Does anyone from the UK know if the 72 hour visa waiver facility applies if the port of entry and the airport of departure is Shanghai?

Having read the .Gov.Uk website it seems that it only applies if you fly in and out of China but I thought I would check if anybody has any information one way or another!

Thanks in advance.

Jim

My experience is no you will need to get a visa but the China Visa Centres in the UK are very helpful if you email them the specifics of your trip. (Make sure you email the actual Centres in the UK not the rip off guys like Visa Central)

Hi free from work from Leeds

DH was born Dewsbury, grew up Wakefield, has 2 sons + their families still in area. I lived there with him once we met 1976 - Leeds, Ossett, Penistone. I loved Yorkshire, we only moved south because it became impossible to advance 2 careers in IT in the north. But enough of nostalgia to answer your question:

We used the waiver last year to transit through Beijing and everything I read to ensure that we were going to get in for our 60hr stopover said it applies for Beijing, Chengdu and Shanghai Airports only. Ports were specifically excluded. Also you are not allowed to travel outside the metropolitan area of the city where you are using the exclusion.

I have been recently looking again at China's visa application process for our upcoming land trip where we will need dual entry. Nothing I have read suggests that what I wrote above has changed.

Edited by Killington
spelling

Thanks for both replies. I thought it might be airports only but you can always live in hope! Great advice about obtaining the visa from the correct source, you hear so many horror stories about extra charges if you don't hit the correct link online.

Yorkshire is still a great place to live with Leeds a fantastic centre for shopping, tourists etc. Once we get too old to be travelling the world we have amazing places on our doorstep.

Jim

Edited by free from work