Vintages--Pricing Question

Hello,

Does anyone have an idea of the wine products and range of pricing at Vintages? What is the average price per glass, and what is the price for an average "taste" size?

Range by the glass ran roughly $7 and up. There were several wines in the $20-25 range, and most of the wines were in the 8-12 range. The premium package would cover about 3/4 of the wines.

There wasn't a charge for a taste, but it was pretty small. A half-ounce or less.

(Indy, in December)

I know this is a little off topic but does Vintages employ a sommelier? Do they have some sort of a wine tasting package? I've always wanted to learn how to understand wine & pairings (including discerning the good from the poor).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I know this is a little off topic but does Vintages employ a sommelier? Do they have some sort of a wine tasting package? I've always wanted to learn how to understand wine & pairings (including discerning the good from the poor).

Depends on the ship. Never had one on NAV.

They offered flights in a range of styles. Taking any if the on board seminars may be minorly educational but will not substitute for a real sommelier.

Good is something you enjoy. Poor is vinegar.

Don't assume the $45 glass or bottle is 'better' then one half that price. Some if the best wines(90 plus points) have been under $20

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

A little off topic, but wanted to let you know that when you board go to Vintages and check out their tasting seminar they have for both Italian and French wines. My son and daughter-in-law did this and the person presenting was extremely knowledgeable and they really enjoyed it. They did the Italian wines. They signed up before boarding for the one offered through the website, and were disappointed in that one. I believe the one through Vintages only has seating for 12? and I think it was around 4:00 on a sea day.

They all seem to vary a little bit.

On our recent Liberty cruise, the manager of vintages was also a sommelier- very very enthusiastic about wine, too. On his previous ship, he noted that vintages had morphed more into a normal bar, and quickly changed that back to being wine centric- training all of the staff. Along with the tastings and flights that we've seen in all vintages, he also started a program to have a full tasting with dinner.

Having brought that idea to the Liberty, we tried it and really enjoyed it. Basically dinner is whatever they had in the MDR that night, and then he spent a lot of time pairing each dish to a specific wine. At $40pp, it's more than the normal $30 tasting, but it was also more wine, and very custom to what you are eating. We chose different plates so that we could have different wines.

It was a great experience.