Just off the EPIC - loved it!

Mikey7989

My mother & I sailed the NCL EPIC last week, and we really enjoyed the cruise. Both of us have cruised many times before, but we found this one to be particularly to our liking in terms of the dining choices and the entertainment. We really enjoyed the Murder Mystery lunch, the Cirque Dreams and the Blue Man Group.

Any questions about the ship?

Great to hear a positive review! I'm on the April 5th sailing. Can't wait! I was on the Breakaway in October and there were some great singers who used to perform in the atrium. Does the Epic have anything similar?

I'm not planning on doing any excursions so I was wondering if the ports are nice to stroll around. I haven't been to Cozumel before. I've been to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios before but I just did ship excursions that brought me to and from the ship so I didn't get the chance to explore the area around the cruise ports

Edited by Ali70
Added more i fo

Great to hear a positive review! I'm on the April 5th sailing. Can't wait! I was on the Breakaway in October and there were some great singers who used to perform in the atrium. Does the Epic have anything similar?

I'm not planning on doing any excursions so I was wondering if the ports are nice to stroll around. I haven't been to Cozumel before. I've been to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios before but I just did ship excursions that brought me to and from the ship so I didn't get the chance to explore the area around the cruise ports

Grand Cayman is nice to just stroll around. Personally I would do a planned excursion in Ocho Rios. Cozumel has a shopping area right by the dock, not sure if there is much else within walking distance, but should be easy to get a cab to wherever you want to go.

Do you happen to remember the name of the cruise director?

We sailed the Epic on January 18, and the cruise director was Armen. Not sure of his last name, sorry.

OP, glad you had a great time on the Epic! It's one of our favorite ships, and we're happy to have sailed once more before she moves to Europe for the foreseeable future.

My mother & I sailed the NCL EPIC last week, and we really enjoyed the cruise. Both of us have cruised many times before, but we found this one to be particularly to our liking in terms of the dining choices and the entertainment. We really enjoyed the Murder Mystery lunch, the Cirque Dreams and the Blue Man Group.

Any questions about the ship?

I THINK I read somewhere that Blue Man Group's contract is up in early March. Any info on if that is true, and if so, who will be performing on the remaining cruises from Miami (so til mid April when she heads for Europe)?

I THINK I read somewhere that Blue Man Group's contract is up in early March. Any info on if that is true, and if so, who will be performing on the remaining cruises from Miami (so til mid April when she heads for Europe)?

I believe from other posts that their contract expires March 31, so whatever the one that ends before that date will be their last.

Armen was our Cruise Director as well, although I don't think I ever saw him in person but did hear him on the PA & on the TV's ship programming segments.

Cozumel is a nice port to walk around. I've been there several times, and you can also either walk or cab downtown, as well as take the ferry over to Playa del Carmen which is what we did on this cruise, $20 round trip through the Shore Excursions. There is also a public ferry as well, but I saw 360 pesos round trip which would come out to about $28.

There was always something good to eat on the buffet and in the restaurants. We did the Murder Mystery Lunch and the Cirque Dreams Dinner, and both were good.

In the Q&A with Blue Men, they didn't say anything that would indicate that they were leaving the ship anytime soon, so perhaps they will extend/renew their contract. They seemed to be quite happy on the ship.

So glad to hear you had a great cruise! We are on the April 12th sailing and can't wait. Any favorites as far as food/restaurants? Did you find it difficult to find space on the pool deck?

On the first two sea days, it was very crowded on the pool deck. You can also take the elevator up to Deck 18, but that was pretty full as well. It's really no different than any other ship I've been on as far as crowds on sea days that are really nice & warm days! Our last sea day, Saturday, wasn't as favorable with the weather. We didn't venture up there, but I'm sure there were plenty of chairs available!

Just off also. I thought the staff were either poor or maybe just new. The spa was the exception .

I found the cabin a bit run down ( studio) . The shower head was broken, the phone was also broken . Upon sliding the case under the bed , there was dishes still there??

Just a few of the little things. Did any of this ruin my cruise, absolutely not!!. I didn't complain, I just asked could they be fixed, they were not!!. I didn't see much of my room steward the last few days at all.

I "missed" three snow storms so these little things were way down my list of things to worry about. As long as the ship didn't sink, I was happy.

Overall, I ate well, slept well and came home refreshed . I met some nice people, observed some ignoramuses , soaked up some sun. The biggest low point of my cruise was making the mistake of getting off in Ocho Rios for a walkabout. I felt more intimidated this time than the previous time I visited . Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

.............. The biggest low point of my cruise was making the mistake of getting off in Ocho Rios for a walkabout. I felt more intimidated this time than the previous time I visited . Lesson learned.

Would you mind elaborating on this comment? I've never been there so I was wondering why you didn't like it and felt intimidated.

Thanks.

We beached it most of the day in Ocho Rio but the hour we left for shopping was angry natives trying to sell us everything including every type of drug:rolleyes:.

I read about how tourists get offered 'ganja' a lot in Jamaica and I am fortunate that no one ever offered me any. As for the the super pushy salesman, it's like I love to buy stuff and help the economy (or not?) but trying to sell using underhanded tactics along with extreme pushiness, no thanks!

Edited by GoAndHaveFun

I read about how tourists get offered 'ganja' a lot in Jamaica and I am fortunate that no one ever offered me any. As for the the super pushy salesman, it's like I love to buy stuff and help the economy (or not?) but trying to sell using underhanded tactics along with extreme pushiness, no thanks!

On our last cruise that went to Ocho Rios, my husband was offered an 8-ball while walking with me and pushing our then-2 year old in a stroller. On our first cruise that went to Jamaica (which was my first cruise), I was practically kidnapped to have my hair braided. They refused to tell me how much it cost, so I got up after two braids. It was $2 per braid, which would have equated to around $200 for my entire head.

Between those incidents, the politics and the general level of visceral unease I have in the port area, we try to avoid Ocho Rios. Which is unfortunate, because the island itself is beautiful, and so are most of the people there.

Edited by chelle74

Would you mind elaborating on this comment? I've never been there so I was wondering why you didn't like it and felt intimidated.

Thanks.

I got that same feeling in Ocho Rios at Dunne River Falls. You have to wind through the shopping area to get back to the bus, and we were already late. I didn't quite understand it, but each vendor who happened to be a man wanted to either shake his hand or fist pump and then look into his eyes with respect ??? I'm like, we're already late!

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the same sailing and based on questions about this we saw here before, we asked the cruise director this question personally. (Incidentally, his name was Armen Pretossian - I looked it up!). He basically tap-danced around the question - confirmed that there would be about 2 weeks (as far as he knew) between the end of BMG and the start of Burn the Floor and said they were "working to provide good entertainment and would definitely have something" but couldn't be more specific. I also asked when it would be available to book (since people were asking that as well) and he promised it would be soon. It sounded like from what he was saying that there would be some filler entertainment but they didn't know for sure what yet and that it definitely wouldn't be BMG anymore or BTF yet.

Edited by marciemi

We did a planned excursion in Ocho Rios and went to the beach in GC. Just strolled around Cozumel which I felt strongly was a mistake afterwards but we'd arrived late and it was really windy so we didn't bother. On past trips, we've gone to Pleasure Beach which I definitely recommend. Only $3 now I think and you get a nice beach, chair, and pool for that (and can pay more for food/drinks/water toys). We were unimpressed with the Margaritaville in Cozumel and shopping right in the port area was okay but not much exciting stuff.

So glad to hear you had a great cruise! We are on the April 12th sailing and can't wait. Any favorites as far as food/restaurants? Did you find it difficult to find space on the pool deck?

Not trying to divert Mikey's thread here - I'm also working on a trip report so please come check it out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2169929

We did the UDP and most of the specialty restaurants and really loved them. But I planned to cover those and the lounge chairs, pool, etc. as well.

Mikey - did you come to the Meet & Greet? We met the cruise director there so felt comfortable talking to him whenever we saw him around the ship (usually on the pool deck). He also gave us a card with his extension (along with all the key officers) if we needed anything.

We are sailing on April 12, and we are doing the Cozumel bar hop in Cozumel - comes very highly recommended by friends who have been there before....it is not tied directly with the cruise lines, but they work with the ships picking up and dropping off patrons. Check out their website - it is a BLAST from whatmy friends say.... beach bars on the opposite side of the island.....$57. total - you pay $27. to register and $30. cash the day of the tour. you get a drink and a teeshirt I think?...anyways a fun day at a fun place.

:cool:

Thanks.

It's quite difficult to explain about Ocho Rios, but I agree the other posters, there's an air about the place which is quite intimidating.....lots of people hanging around looking menacing. I don't want to sound precious about this-but it definitely feels different to other ports. That said, we went to Margaritaville(in the port complex) and had a great time!!

• 2 weeks later...

Today is Friday March 6, 2015 and it is 8:21pm. After many, many calls to NCL to find out what our entertainment would be, as well as when we will be able to book entertainment for our cruise less than 30 days out.

-Burn the floor is apparently getting transitioned in for our cruise! NOT FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT IN MY OPINION! We have 7 children we are cruising with that were all a part of the planning process. Blue man group was the key reason we chose the Epic.

-We were also told Legends would still be onboard as well. They will not be getting replaced by Priscilla the musical. But that might change before we actually cruise too, being all entertainment is subject to change without notice or replacement!

We have called and have been given so many different things not sure what is true or not. I guess we will find out in 29 days right!

Just an FYI, the second night we are onboard, they will have Lobster at the on the top deck. Does Im wondering if this will also be white night!

Today is Friday March 6, 2015 and it is 8:21pm. After many, many calls to NCL to find out what our entertainment would be, as well as when we will be able to book entertainment for our cruise less than 30 days out.

-Burn the floor is apparently getting transitioned in for our cruise!![/quote

Oh WOW! So we're getting Burn The Floor after all. That just made my day. I was gutted about losing Blue Man Group as I'm a big fan after seeing the show several times. But I'm an even bigger fan of Burn The Floor. Saw the show in NY and also on The Breakaway. I'm a fan of Dancing with the Stars and dance in general so Burn The Floor is right up my street.