Dream show band / real shows

GottaLuvCruising

There was a show band on our cruise on the dream a couple weeks ago. The shows were not the playlist shows. There was one called a Dancin in the Streets, which was pretty good, my husband even enjoyed it. There was a hypnotist one night, which i thought was pretty terrible, but a lot of people seemed to enjoy it. Another night was a country music themed show, which we didn't go to. Game shows and the marriage game another night. Carnival legends another night.

The shows are currently Dancing in the Streets (with 20 on-stage performers plus the band), the country show (with Jimmy Hodge from Blackjack Band playing fiddle), & the motown show. All 3 use a real band, no playlist.

Does anyone know if there are any plans in place for Carnival to dump these great shows like they have done on other ships? Also, if anyone is cruising Dream soon, please ask Blackjack Band how much longer they will be on the Dream, and report back. A year ago, Jimmy told me that they had a contract through about April to mid-May 2015, but they weren't sure if Carnival would have them back after that. I'm hoping that Carnival does the right thing & renews their contract. If they drop Blackjack Band, the live music for the shows will probably be next. The one piece of good news for the OP is that the Dream is not scheduled for a drydock before 2016, which they would need in order to install those playlist shows.

We just got off a B2B on the Dream and had a great time with all the musical choices. The Blackjack Band was the best part, they played almost every night in the Ocean Plaza. Dancing In The Streets was the best show, we went to see it both weeks. There is also Rhythm Nation, they are the main live band for the big shows. They play in the Ocean Plaza also when they don't have shows at night.

I agree with those above who noted that "BlackJack Band" is worth the price of admission, even if they didn't have any other entertainment. Fortunately, for us right now, they have two REALLY great shows in "8 More Seconds", and "Dancin' in the Streets". I sailed "Dream" over, and over when she was in Port Canaveral, and really miss the ship, and the entertainment.

Same deal for "Paradise". The singers/dancers/musicians there was really bummed because the word was that they too, were going to be replaced by the lousy "Playlist" shows. :mad:

"SKY"