If I can only do one certified dive in Grand Cayman ...

Lampwick

Which should it be?

We're going in November and DW doesn't dive, so I'll probabley only do one cetified dive on the entire trip. This is my first time in Grand Cayman, so I want to do a special dive. We are only in port from noon until 6:30 (I know - not the best dive time!). Open to all suggestions. We are also going to Cozumel and Ocho Rios, so if you think there is abetter dive at those ports, please chime in! Thanks all!

Personally, I think that Cozumel has a little better diving, so I'd dive there instead. For GCM, go with DW to stingray city. Yes, you can do this as a dive, but the dive site probably isn't the best for a snorkeler because it is about 15ft deep, too deep for good ray interaction while snorkeling.

You could do one shore dive while she snorkels or shops.

We were on Grand Cayman last week and on Cozumel in April. I don't dive yet (plan to get certified when DS gets a little older and can join me... until then we snorkel).

DD dove while on Cozumel (DH wasn't on that trip), and both DD and DH dove while on Grand Cayman. DD said the diving was way better on Cozumel. From my perspective, the snorkeling was better too. However, the dive spots were places not too far from Sting Ray City (we did SRC during the surface interval), so to be fair, there could be better dive locations that we did not go to.

Everyone in our family LOVED Sting Ray City, so I agree with bruce-r... do Sting Ray City on Grand Cayman, and dive on Cozumel.

One thing about Grand Cayman was the absolutely gorgeous turquoise clear water!

It is unanswerable.

On any given day, at a particular dive site, how does one compare against another? Pick a time and place and identify a time in the future, tell me what the weather and sea conditions will be then, and for 48 hours b4 and I'll give you a guess as to how the dive will be. Factor in the appearance schedule of cool fish & turtles & pelagics and I can make one heck of a recommendation.

Else, all I can tell you are the operators I have had good luck with, in their choices to know local conditions on any given day and time and to take me to a 'cool site' more often than knot.

Unfortunately, on this board I find few that appreciate the knowledge aquired over time and defer to "I went to X last week therefore you should too"

If you want me to share the operators I've enjoyed long term success with...PM me. If you want to know where A good dive (good as compared to???) was last week, ur in the right place.

I would recommend going to scubaboard.com and doing some research there. Given the lack of time I would recommend a shore dive at GC. Try Sunset House. Your wife can snorkel or use the pool. It is a very short cab ride south of the port. Perhaps by doing this you could get in two diving ports.

In Coz next March I am using "Dive with Alison." She is taking out my family of two divers and two snorkelers together. We have done that sort of thing in Roatan (Sueno Del Mar) during a cruise and had a great time. I haven't used her before but she gets really good reports on scubaboard. Enjoy!

If you want me to share the operators I've enjoyed long term success with...PM me. If you want to know where A good dive (good as compared to???) was last week, ur in the right place.

Unfortunately, the PM function on this message board does NOT work.

Capt, that is sound advice. Different sites can be recommended depending on what kind of dive a person is looking for, such as a wall dive or a drift dive, but to recommend a particular dive site because the conditions were good on one specific day is naive.

There is a scuba diving outfitter right when you get off the tender in Caymans. You just walk right and they are set up right there. They rent all the gear and take you out. Caymans has much better diving than Cozumel. No question about that. I am certified from home too by the way.
This site is Eden Rock and has two nearby dive shops; http://www.edenrockdive.com and http://abanksdivers.com.ky/

My experience on both Islands--GC by far. We dive all over the place there. We go by boat and air--there are so many dive sites that cruiseships don't offer--that is why to book the diveshop on you on--a few sites to try--

Orange Caynon

Big Tunnel

North Wall

Oriental Gardens(beautiful)

Any of the wrecks (still in tact after Hurricane Ivan)

Shore dive off Sunset or Eden great.

We like Cozumel also but we don't like to drift dive alot.

:)

Have only done shore diving at GC as our port times have never been good for catching any boat dives. Eden Rock is nice, but Dive Tech next to the Turtle Farm was much better and literally only a few divers around.

As for Cozumel - love it! Just got back from a quick 4 day cruise and got 2 dives in with Dive With Alison on Saturday - we've used her previously when stopping on cruises, and she's really terrific! We've already booked with her for this coming Nov as well. She tries to be flexible in her scheduling whenever she can - not all Ops are as willing.

I'm sure diving in either location, you'll have a great time!!

Have only done shore diving at GC as our port times have never been good for catching any boat dives. Eden Rock is nice, but Dive Tech next to the Turtle Farm was much better and literally only a few divers around.

As for Cozumel - love it! Just got back from a quick 4 day cruise and got 2 dives in with Dive With Alison on Saturday - we've used her previously when stopping on cruises, and she's really terrific! We've already booked with her for this coming Nov as well. She tries to be flexible in her scheduling whenever she can - not all Ops are as willing.

I'm sure diving in either location, you'll have a great time!![/QU

That is true about Dive tech--never dove with them but have hung out with them at Longstar after hours. Seem to be a cool gang.

This site is Eden Rock and has two nearby dive shops; www.edenrockdive.com and http://abanksdivers.com.ky/

We will be in GC in two weeks. DW does not dive but does snorkel. I came across these sites as well and am have decided to dive here. There are two seperate dives right from shore. They are Eden Rock and the other is Devils Grotto. I am going to dive with some people and DW is planning on snorkeling at the surface with friends. It give us a chance to enjoy the site together but apart. It is better than leaving her on the ship at the spa.

My husband and I are fairly new to diving (only 10 dives) but we REALLY enjoyed the Trinity Caves dive when we were in Grand Cayman. We're cruising again 1-7-06 on Grandeur visiting Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Costa Maya. Any opinions on the drift dive in Cozumel? We've done the drift snorkel there but not the dive.

Aren't the Caves great in GC. Next time you go request the Oriental Gardens.

If you like not having to work for the dive and just float by and see things then you are fine with the drift. I am the type that takes pictures and likes to admire the little creatures under the rocks. There has been a time when we were diving there I had to hang on to a rock (not coral)--so I would not float away just to look at a puffer fish I wanted a picture of.

It can be cool to drift--but enjoy the dive. That is why I like GC better.

If you ever get the chance to go to Dominica on a cruise or by land please dive. I love Dominica better than GC. It is for sure back to nature.:)

That's such good advice (on the drift dive). I like to go where I like to go and I do remember the "drift" being quite strong when we did our snorkel excursion. We will be diving in GC in January and will do as you suggested. Thank you!

Grand Cayman was OK diving - did the "wall" was disappointed with the Dive Operator from the ship (don fosters diving) and the reef's were pretty dead when we went.

Cozumel on the other hand - Eagle Ray Divers is wonderful, and the reefs are spectacular -

Your choice - just personal preference - good luck

Eden Rock you can shore dive - from the pier and it is a good dive. Also in town so you are right by where wife might be- or you can do a dive and then you can both go tour together or go to 7 mile beach.

In Cozumel you can beach dive from Chankanaab Park and wife might like it there too.

Just ideas - cruise times and dive times don't match a lot so we have learned the shore dive spots as I do not like the the cattle boats the cruise ships put you on...

Debbie

Archived