Question

Mirrasi

Any time you upgrade you become eligible for the promotion that was available when you booked unless you decide to cancel and rebook then you get current promotions. So the difference in promotion depends on if it's and upgrade or cancel and rebook.

Im confused (not hard to do!). Okay, so I am looking at the 04/17 Getaway. According to the site, the inside start at $479 Fl res, although $499 is the cheapest room I see anywhere so must be a glitch.

Anyway, I'd prefer a balcony of course but they are literally double the price and this is a budget trip. So I was going to get an inside and maybe upgrade the week prior to sailing if there is any balconies left.

I could also wait until 2-3 weeks prior before booking anything at all. But I think it's too risky since this is Spring Break month. Looking at Feb March, the rates are all over the place. Some are getting fairly low (like the next 2 weeks sailings), but others are rising much higher. I'll assume that it's because they are filling up with Spring Break.

Then again Im not sure if the promotion would really matter to me anyway even if I did choose to upgrade later to a balcony. This cruise is only me and my 9 year old. He won't qualify for kids sail free since he is the second person. I don't drink much and I don't think he is allowed to be on the UDP (which is the one thing I actually want).

So Im sort of lost trying to figure it out. Not sure if I should book now or wait.

I'm also confused on any benefit of guarantee rooms. To my knowledge, upgrades are rare and they aren't really cheaper than other inside rooms. Why even bother with that cat?

Edited by Mirrasi

Well I just got back from a cruise. I originally booked an inside. Then a month before sailing for $100 I upgraded to obstructed ocean view. 3 days before sailing when prices dropped I upgraded to balcony guaranteed category. I ended up with the second highest balcony category with my guarantee. The room I received was significantly more than the money I paid for the guarantee. It's also a thread where people state the outcome of there GTY rooms and a lot of people seem to be upgraded.

If you book now to take advantage of the promo currently running if you upgrade to a higher category later you will still keep the promotion. Kids can use the UBP and/or UDP. The beverage package is for any drinks not just alcohol so your 9 year old could have frozen virgin drink (about $5-6 each), soda ($3 each) or anything else besides the free water. Or you two can go to specialty restaurants. Both of them are good deals depending on what you want. I know my 9 year old would prefer to drink other than water.

I would book an inside now while the price is relatively low than if the balcony prices drop just upgrade. I checked cruise fish website everyday for the price drop of my cruise.