Kids pricing in Specialty restaurants

NJbeachMom

I'll be sailing the Breakaway with my 12yr old daughter. I was considering the Dining Package but read that children up to 12 are half price. Do they have to order from a kids menu or can they order off the regular menu? Thanks in advance for you help...

Only 50 days!!

Assuming your cabin does not have UDP: in specialty restaurants, kids 3-12 can order for free off the MDR kids menu (burgers, chicken fingers, pizza, etc.). Your daughter can also order for 1/2 price off the specialty restaurant menu. You can still buy the package for yourself, but you will pay 1/2 price for your child as you go.

However, if you have UDP as part of a booking promotion, specialty dining will be free for kids too (no need to pay 1/2 price). You can check this by requesting a copy of your amenities confirmation, either from NCL (if you booked directly) or from your TA. The amenities confirmation will specify a child's dining package under your kid's name.

Edited by Pikaia

I was told by a NCL representative that if you do have the dining package for a child from 4-12, each time they eat choose something from the menu at the specialty restaurant, you will automatically receive 50% of the cover charge as OBC. For instance, if you go to Moderno, which is a $20 cover charge, and your daughter orders from the Moderno menu, you will see a $10 OBC added to your account.

I found this to be odd, since I do not see it documented in the Dining Guide, but she was certain this was correct. For our cruise, we are likely getting the UDP for my wife and I, and will see what our daughter chooses when we go to the specialty restaurants. We assume she will probably stick mostly to the MDR kids menu, since she's a picky eater. She'll be 6 at the time of the cruise.

Keep this in mind. If you do get the UDP for your daughter, and she continuously orders from the MDR kids menu, you DO NOT get any OBC added to your account. So, it may be better to pay as you go for kids if they are not adventurous eaters.

I was told by a NCL representative that if you do have the dining package for a child from 4-12, each time they eat choose something from the menu at the specialty restaurant, you will automatically receive 50% of the cover charge as OBC. For instance, if you go to Moderno, which is a $20 cover charge, and your daughter orders from the Moderno menu, you will see a $10 OBC added to your account.

I found this to be odd, since I do not see it documented in the Dining Guide, but she was certain this was correct. For our cruise, we are likely getting the UDP for my wife and I, and will see what our daughter chooses when we go to the specialty restaurants. We assume she will probably stick mostly to the MDR kids menu, since she's a picky eater. She'll be 6 at the time of the cruise.

Keep this in mind. If you do get the UDP for your daughter, and she continuously orders from the MDR kids menu, you DO NOT get any OBC added to your account. So, it may be better to pay as you go for kids if they are not adventurous eaters.

I would be curious to hear from you after your cruise to see if this correct. I doubt that the NCL rep was correct as I have not read this in any NCL documents.

Yes, they can order from the regular menu. Our son ate the same things we ate at both Moderno and Teppanyaki and was charged 50%. This happened on more than one cruise, on more than one ship.

If you book ahead of time online or by phone prior to your cruise, and do NOT have UDP, you have to pay in full for the number of people in the reservation. In that situation, if one is a child who then orders from the specialty menu, 50% of the cost would be refunded to you as OBC.

If you make reservations online ahead of time with UDP, then you will not be charged at all for anyone you make reservations for, whether or not they have UDP, at the time of booking. So if you book for your kids, then no charge at that time. Then when you eat at the Specialty restaurant, your child would be charged 50% of the cover charge when you settle up at the end. If they order from regular kids menu, there will be no charge.

I hope that clarifies.

Edited by LrgPizza