Solstice obstructed balcony choice. Opinions Please

louieboy

We are booked in a Cat 2C on the Solstice for our cruise to Hawaii in April. This is a trip that has been on our bucket list for a while. We usually book insides to be able to cruise more often but for this trip snagged a balcony guaranty. We just got our cabin assignment and its 6178. In my research, I found out that this room is obstructed pretty badly with a view of the lifeboat (not just from the view downward but straight out too) I realize this category is obstructed, but my TA said we can move around within this category if there is something else we would prefer. The other cabins available in this category are 6259, 6245, 6281, 6286. Does anyone have any experience with our cabin or the others available. Thank you so much.

In theory, all the 2Cs should just have the top of the lifeboat at floor level of the balcony, so you should be able to look straight out in any of them. (Only the 2Ds have the lifeboat at the top rail of the balcony)

Have you checked the sticky at the top of the page to see if any of the rooms are reviewed?

I would stick with starboard cabins if you are going to be midship, because the smoking section is outside on deck 5 portside, and you could encounter some smoke drifting into your space. OTOH if you are sailing west, the port cabins will have the best sun, sunsets etc.

In theory, all the 2Cs should just have the top of the lifeboat at floor level of the balcony, so you should be able to look straight out in any of them. (Only the 2Ds have the lifeboat at the top rail of the balcony)

Have you checked the sticky at the top of the page to see if any of the rooms are reviewed?

I would stick with starboard cabins if you are going to be midship, because the smoking section is outside on deck 5 portside, and you could encounter some smoke drifting into your space. OTOH if you are sailing west, the port cabins will have the best sun, sunsets etc.

Yes definately go with Starboard if on Deck 6.... Port side Deck 5 is where smoking areas are both fore and aft so if you are Port side you could be right above smoking.

We are booked in a Cat 2C on the Solstice for our cruise to Hawaii in April. This is a trip that has been on our bucket list for a while. We usually book insides to be able to cruise more often but for this trip snagged a balcony guaranty. We just got our cabin assignment and its 6178. In my research, I found out that this room is obstructed pretty badly with a view of the lifeboat (not just from the view downward but straight out too) I realize this category is obstructed, but my TA said we can move around within this category if there is something else we would prefer. The other cabins available in this category are 6259, 6245, 6281, 6286. Does anyone have any experience with our cabin or the others available. Thank you so much.

We will be on board that cruise also and it is getting close :D

Grab 6245 now - before it's not available - lifeboat will not be in front of you - I have always taken obstructed balconies - the lifeboats are never in front of your eye level - deck 6 is great - just one flight of stairs to entertainment - and close to aft elevators! e-mail me if you have any questions - I will see if I have a picture of our balcony on Silhouette! janischapman@msn.com

This morning 6242 came available so I grabbed it. It's one of the angled balconies so we'll have more balcony room, the obstruction, I believe, is minimal, it's on the starboard side so no issues with smokers from deck 5 port side, and I believe the bed is by the bath, proximity to elevators is excellent so for the price, I don't think I could ask for more.

The cruise can't come soon enough as we just got another foot of snow last night and I am really ready for some sunny days.

Thank you all for your help

It is not true that the 2C obstruction is just the lifeboats obstructing the view down to the water. We had 6268 on the Equinox, and the white metal things with pulleys holding the boats up stuck way up in our view. They were straight in front of our cabin and were at least as high as the railing level. I think they were a little taller than the railing actually. The photo posted does not do justice to how tall the white pulley systems are when they are right in front of your balcony.

It is not true that the 2C obstruction is just the lifeboats obstructing the view down to the water. We had 6268 on the Equinox, and the white metal things with pulleys holding the boats up stuck way up in our view. They were straight in front of our cabin and were at least as high as the railing level. I think they were a little taller than the railing actually. The photo posted does not do justice to how tall the white pulley systems are when they are right in front of your balcony.

And that's exactly why i said, 'in theory'!! There are exceptions to every rule. Hopefully people in cabins like yours will post on the cabin sticky so future cruisers will have the benefit of your knowledge.

This morning 6242 came available so I grabbed it. It's one of the angled balconies so we'll have more balcony room, the obstruction, I believe, is minimal, it's on the starboard side so no issues with smokers from deck 5 port side, and I believe the bed is by the bath, proximity to elevators is excellent so for the price, I don't think I could ask for more.

The cruise can't come soon enough as we just got another foot of snow last night and I am really ready for some sunny days.

Thank you all for your help

You have one of the best cabins on the ship

One floor down to the Cafe Al Bacio

You will love it

I know you've swapped now but we have 6178 on the equinox in 7 weeks (not that I'm counting!!) I plan on posting on the sticky and taking lots of photos as this has been a worry for me and couldn't find any info.

You have one of the best cabins on the ship

One floor down to the Cafe Al Bacio

You will love it

We have that cabin on Solstice going to Alaska this year. I researched everywhere looking for reviews, and they were wonderful! Can't wait.

We had Cat 2D Stateroom 6209 on our Equinox cruise in January. Fantastic stateroom. Very Large balcony and only about one half obstructed. Great location. This used to be a Cat 1A stateroom. Would book it again in a heartbeat. Just for info, this was our 31st cruise and we always book a balcony stateroom.