Getaway disembarkation day Sat 18th April -Miami

donnakidston

Good evening all,

we disembark from the Getaway on a Saturday morning, but we don't fly out of Miami until 1930 that night. What to do? I've heard we can do a shore excursion with NCL and they will take us to Miami International Airport afterwards, but I guess we'd then have hours to kill at the airport. Does anyone have any experience of this? Any suggestions on the best way to spend this last day? I imagine we have to be off the boat early.

Any advice gratefully appreciated,

Donna

We faced that same delimma last year. We rented a car and drove to South Beach. It ended up being a nice day-I understand that you can rent a car at the port-We didn't know that at the time so we took NCL's transportation to the airport and rented=Worked for us because we had to take the car back to the airport anyway-

Thanks Sarlin, we are staying in South Beach for 3 nights before cruising, I wonder if it'd be worthwhile heading back to the Sagamore and buying a day pass. Wonder if this is even possible? Bearing in mind we'll have all our luggage etc.....

Wonder if we could take a taxi to a shopping mall and do some retail therapy and then another taxi to airport. It's a pest!

Donna

Suggestion for you, get to the airport, rent a large car with enough space for all your luggage in the trunk at the rental facility (cheap here in Florida!) and head to the Sawgrass Mills outlet mall west of Fort Lauderdale at the edge of the Everglades. Not a bad trip, probably 25 minutes from the airport.

It is the 7th largest mall in the US, and you could easily spend a whole day there doing "retail therapy." It's over a mile long inside, and you could easily take your purchases back to the airport after that.

We have a similar flight time when disembarking from our cruise. We have hired a 'day room' at Sofitel near the airport. $90 gives you the use of a room and all facilities for the whole day. We planned on just relaxing round the pool, leisurely lunch and a few drinks. There are some restaurants and shops within a 5-10 min walk in a safe area so we can also stock up on items for the flight. There is also a shuttle from the hotel to the airport which runs every 30 mins and takes about 5 mins travel time :)