Tuxedo????

Jameos

You can rent a tux onboard (ahead of time.......check the RCCL site for more info) and they give you 2 shirts so that you're set for both formal nights. Kids do need to dress up, but dependant on age you can make your decision on how formal they should be. When my son was 7 he wore a suit, but a jacket and tie are just as good. Now that he's 11 I bought him a tux on ebay for $40. I hope he doesn't spill anything on it as he's wearing it both nights unless he eats with his new friends the 2nd formal night, which is an option we may choose.

For renting your tux it costs about $80. Some men will rent onboard as my husband has already reserved and some people will bring their own and some men will just wear a dark suit. Whatever works for you is acceptable. My husband likes renting his onboard as he then doesn't have to worry about packing it, wrinkling it or packing dress shoes.

Renting a tux is an option and some people do - though most do not. It will probably run you about $100 total with everything. However, a better option is to take a trip to a local department store and buy a new good quality business suit - think of the $100 you save as how much of a discount you're getting on that new suit and how much more use you'll get out of it after your cruise. You will look very sharp for the formal dinner even without the tux.

As for the tux - though I'm sure they keep them clean and in good condition - remember, you're renting it, just as 100 others have before you. It's $100 to wear it for just a few hours - and, chances are, it's not going to fit perfectly, they may need to alter it, and that's just going to take up more of your time while on the cruise.

Buy the new suit, have it altered exactly to your needs before you leave - you'll end out better off all the way around.

Howard

You can also buy a very inexpensive tux on line, or buy one second hand at a tux shop. If you plan on doing a lot of cruises it is not a bad idea to have one. My husband likes wearing his tux because it is a "no brainer", while I am worrying about dresses, matching shoes, accessories, etc. all he has to do is pack his tux and a couple of tux shirts. He looks great in his tux!

Like the previous poster said, a dark suit is also very formal. I would buy what you think you will get the most wear out of, since renting is so expensive and you will have something to where the next time you need to dress up if you purchase your own.

You can also buy a very inexpensive tux on line, or buy one second hand at a tux shop. If you plan on doing a lot of cruises it is not a bad idea to have one. My husband likes wearing his tux because it is a "no brainer", while I am worrying about dresses, matching shoes, accessories, etc. all he has to do is pack his tux and a couple of tux shirts. He looks great in his tux!

Like the previous poster said, a dark suit is also very formal. I would buy what you think you will get the most wear out of, since renting is so expensive and you will have something to where the next time you need to dress up if you purchase your own.

I should have proofed my post..."where" should have been "wear".

• 1 month later...

Just adding my 2 cents worth. I think renting is a rip off. Just dress nice, and forget the tux stuff. Why bother? I did not enjoy formal night. Though many do, and to each their own. if it makes you happy then do it.. me, I will never dress for formal night again... 1) too much hassle 2) why buy something you will never where again. (I do not do the dress up thing) 3) I do not like to mingle with snobby people.. (that is how I feel around them.(very out of place) ( even though they are not really snobs) 4) makes me feel like a fish out of water.. hated it.

My husbabd rented a tux for our upcoming cruise, it was about $100.00. We elected not to buy this time and not hauling the heavy suit and shoes had appeal. It is nice to konw it will be in the cabin waiting for us.

The boys are not wearing tuxes. Gene-Gene insisted on a suit and I was happy to purchase one for him since he is growing but not like a weed. I bought a suit at Marshall's for $40.00 for him and he loves it.

Steven wanted a backpack that rolls instead of a suit so I purchased him a pair of nice pants, a nice shirt (Gene-Gene got a shirt too and both a tie) and a vest.

They will both be dressed up on formal night and I am so looking forward to the photo!

If you are sailing the Souvereign then you really don't need a tux. Three and four night cruise formal nights (there is only one) are not as formal as a seven night cruise. My husband always wears a nice suit and fits in perfectly.

My dh wears a very nice dark dress suit. I was recently shopping & saw a tux shirt & tie. I asked him to try it on with his suit. I thought he looked great. He said it wasn't a tux so the shirt & tie probably wasn't appropriate even though he liked it also. Opinions please. Thanks

My dh wears a very nice dark dress suit. I was recently shopping & saw a tux shirt & tie. I asked him to try it on with his suit. I thought he looked great. He said it wasn't a tux so the shirt & tie probably wasn't appropriate even though he liked it also. Opinions please. Thanks

I am sort of anti snob (although I do prefer people to dress up on formal nights but I would never make a crack if they didn't) so I say why not? If he looks good the only people who will think something negative are not people you would care to know anyway :D

Archived