Scooter use / rental on RC to Costa Maya & Cozumel

loopner

I'm preparing for our family's trip later this year and have concerns about my Mom's mobility.

My Mom has a walking disability (which she refuses to acknowledge for the most part!) She's cruised before, but not in years so she understand the size of the ship etc.

She's very independent so wouldn't want to be pushed in a wheelchair. I think I've got her convinced that a scooter would make things so much easier for her on board. We did book an H/C room.

What services would you recommend for scooter rental out of Tampa?

Also, I'm concerned about ports. She says she's happy to just shop by the port but I really want us to be together as a family. I think she just doesn't want to hold us back.

In Costa Maya, I don't think we'll be doing very much. She's not excited about the possible excursions and neither are we. I assume she'll be able to use her scooter. Any thoughts on Costa Maya?

Cozumel is a different story. We're planning to go to Dolphinarius. I'd like Mom to join us as a visitor. (she can't go in the water - long story) I'm assuming we can't get a scooter into a cab or anything like that. (we're assuming a mid-size scooter) Am I correct? Any suggestions?

We've rented from Care Vacations and Special Needs at Sea when we fly to a cruise port. Both will have a new(er) but excellent condition scooter waiting in your cabin for you. You just leave it there at the end of the the cruise. Cost varies on port, ship, duration of cruise, scooter requirements etc. It is best to call them for a quote. Numbers can be found by searching them in the internet. We are very peleased with both of the companies. Have a great cruise.

I'm preparing for our family's trip later this year and have concerns about my Mom's mobility.

My Mom has a walking disability (which she refuses to acknowledge for the most part!) She's cruised before, but not in years so she understand the size of the ship etc.

She's very independent so wouldn't want to be pushed in a wheelchair. I think I've got her convinced that a scooter would make things so much easier for her on board. We did book an H/C room.

What services would you recommend for scooter rental out of Tampa?

Also, I'm concerned about ports. She says she's happy to just shop by the port but I really want us to be together as a family. I think she just doesn't want to hold us back.

If you're planning on having the scooter delivered to and picked up from the cabin than you must rent through the cruise line's pre-approved vendor.

RCCL, HAL, Princess, Celebrity pre-approved vendors are http://www.CareVacations.com and http://www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com

For NCL you can only rent from http://www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com

The type of scooter needed will be determined by the rental provider based on your Mother's weight, weight capacity of scooter and height. Cost of rental is based on the following:

• Port of Embarkation
  • Port of Disembarkation
  • Number of days
  • Type of scooter required based on weight/height of user and scooter weight capacity
  • In you purchase insurance

Re: Cab - CareVacations "Light Weight" or "Mid-Size" scooter or SpecialNeedsatSeas "Standard" scooter are all from the Pride Go Go Series. All Pride Go Go models easily breakdown to fit into the trunk of car. If you fast forward to the 54 second mark of this link

the video demonstrates how easily a Pride Go Go breaks down to fit into a trunk.

General information regarding Cozumel

One of the most popular Caribbean Cruise Destination Cozumel disabled access can present some accessibility challenges such as steep ramps, steps at restaurants and not fully accessible public washrooms.

Nevertheless, Cozumel wheelchair access is generally sufficiently good enough that disabled cruise passengers can visit a wheelchair access beach, Tulum and several shopping destinations.

Things to note:

• Wheelchair ramps can be steeper than ramps in the USA.
  • Stores/Restaurants in the shopping area just outside the pier and in town may have an entry step. Some will have ramps.
  • Once outside the direct pier area you may have to go further down the street to find a driveway or curb cut to cross.
  • Only 2 accessible taxis on the island so there might be a long wait if your need one.
  • If a person can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair if non collapsible.
  • If the Wheelchair folds or the scooter breakdowns than drivers will place it in the trunk of most standard vehicles.
  • Be aware of mopeds, motorcycles and bicycles. They’re prevalent and drivers won’t always yield to pedestrians.

Important information for going up/down the gangway ramps.

The biggest problem is that the when the scooter does not have sufficient clearance to get over the thresholds and or gangway joints the crew rushes to immediately force push the scooter while still in drive. Though the crew means well, this knee jerk reaction by the crew the can result in one of 2 things.... the motor locking up and or permanently damaging the motor. Do not allow the crew to force push.

When someone force pushes the scooter while in drive it can damage the entire motor regardless if the battery has a reset button ( plastic bubble on battery case) thus rendering the scooter useless

If able always get off the scooter , place it in free wheel mode (yellow lever on the rear wheels below seat) and have the crew role it down/up the ramp. Than walk down/up the ramp.

Edited by xxoocruiser