Cancellation question

faroozi

We are scheduled for a cruise in October, so our final payment us not due til July. We are traveling with my in laws and 4 young kids. We have two kids booked in our room and two booked in my in laws room. Something has come up that my in laws might need to cancel. I don't think them cancelling would allow us to use our trip insurance. But they are minor kids and even though they are booked in a room right next door. I don't think it is an adjoining room. Plus they are 9 and 7. I an not comfortable with them being in their own rooms. I am really hoping NY in laws can just come. But any ideas of what we can do? What are our options? Like can we book 3 and 3? Moving my husband into the other room? I am assuming if they allow that, there will be fees involved. We originally booked early saver I think, but then with our cruise being cancelled by Carnival we lost our booking status and are just considered a regular booking I think.

I thought once early saver always early saver. Your first task is to clarify with Carnival if you are ES. IF so there will be fees involved. Cancelation before final payment incur a $50 fee. After final payment regular penalties apply. So you might want to think about making any changes prior to final payment.

Guest 12 and younger can be booked in a stateroom but must be directly across from or next door to guardian. They can not be booked in a balcony room. You really don't need to move them around on paper, especially if that would cause you to incur additional fees. If the trip will end up being the two of you and your 4 children just have everyone sleep where you feel comfortable.

I will share with you the early you do things the better. For example if you have two quad rooms booked Carnival could require you to move to triples. In order to get rooms next door you will have more options earlier rather than later

For the OP, my friends were able to go from 2 rooms to 1 room without any penalty, even though they were Early Saver, and it was before final payment. Check to see if they can do the same for you. Perhaps Carnival broke rules for my friends there, but if they did it for them, maybe they'll also do it for you. 2 bookings became 1 booking, and everyone was put into 1 room.

There are 2 of us to a room, each paid individually. If my room mate decides to cancel at the last minute, does my price go up?

For you, in your particular situation, if your insurance doesn't cover you, then you need to do the "no-show" route. Don't cancel the roommate; just show up to the port & check yourself in. When a 2-person room becomes a 1-person room, you are then subject to the solo supplement, which means that a solo booking has to pay 2 cruise fares. The penalty amount gets removed from the booking, and that money can no longer be used for the payments on the booking. That means that you would have to pay another entire cruise fare to cover the solo supplement. If insurance will cover the reason for the cancellation, then the insurance will cover the solo supplement in addition to the cancellation penalty. Check the terms first to make sure you would be covered.

Edited by k2excursion

I am quite sure we are not ES because Carnival canceled our first cruise and they booked us at the at the same cost rate, but none of the original perks including our 50% down payment, purchase status, and original onboard credit. Honestly, after the headache of getting 17 people to agree on a second cruise then the multiple hassles of rebooking with Carnival, I would have canceled all together but it is my BILs birthday cruise.