Crocodiles in Mangroves on Jetski tour??

Dolphin3

We are interested in taking the jet ski tour to sting ray city, however I have been reading that at the end of your tour you go past the mangroves of the cayman islands . I have researched and found that there are crocodiles in the mangroves of the cayman islands. Could anyone help make me feel better who has gone on this tour before and tell me, if it is very swampy and marsh like in this area. I love to jet ski but in beautiful clear waters. Not so excited about mangroves, where there could be crocodiles and snakes. Thanks everyone:confused:

We are interested in taking the jet ski tour to sting ray city, however I have been reading that at the end of your tour you go past the mangroves of the cayman islands . I have researched and found that there are crocodiles in the mangroves of the cayman islands. Could anyone help make me feel better who has gone on this tour before and tell me, if it is very swampy and marsh like in this area. I love to jet ski but in beautiful clear waters. Not so excited about mangroves, where there could be crocodiles and snakes. Thanks everyone:confused:

That's news to us! :eek:

Seriously, there is no indigenous crocodile population in Cayman.

A few years ago one individual croc was found. Testing showed it was from a population in Cuba. It could have swam over, floated over on storm debris, or been released by a careless owner of an exotic pet.

A crocodile cousin used to be common enough that that the Cayman Islands took their name from that species, it was named the caiman. Won't find those around modern day Cayman either. Caiman is a Carib Indian word for crocodile.

Edited by drew sailbum

Yep

that's exactly what I found from a little research but sat back cuz Drew responding as a resident would carry more weight.

several sources say croc's were wiped out in Cayman over 200 years ago by over hunting.

One opined that people sighting very large iguana and incorrectly calling them Caiman confuses people. The Caiman is a croc still found in central and south america but not in the Cayman Islands . . .